Except for access question ….

What’s the fine/points if any for ignoring this sign. There’s a shortcut I use regularly and the other day and I’m only speculating but the police were talking to a motorist on the road. 

I have googled the question without much joy 
IMG_5356.jpeg.e20ce43393be995d7394be24410ebdef.jpeg

i drove past one a few years ago and received a £40 fixed penalty as I was spotted by a camera. No points.

• Thanks 1

But officer i needed access to the road at the end of the street...............................

all comes down to the legal definition of access I guess ;o)

• Like 1

'Contravening a road traffic sign',   & people do get fined £100. 

One such sign has been wrongly erected near me by the council after neighbours wanted a lane closed.

(It is said it was a farm track and not a Through Route & not Adopted and not of a standard to be adopted, well the householders never paid for the roads upkeep, improvements and it was and is a vehicular access from 2 public places & has been in constant use as such for Living Memory, or long lived people.)

The signs are in the wrong place and the road is a vehicular right of way and someone has done their research wrong.

The Ex Police officer that scowls at me when i cycle that lane thinks that he is smart putting traffic cones out at times blocking the lane.

If someone is served a NIP then hopefully they challenge that in court and challenge the council.

I was on the back of my pals motor bike in 1976 when the police stopped us at Monifieth Putting & Bowling Green when we were on the road with that sign, he was fined.

Years later i was with my pal in his car when stopped again, tough luck for the 'Officer' because my pal was working for the Parks Department and his parking place was in the 'Council Refuse & Park Department yard on that road'.   Foundry Road and turn the corner and the other end is Riverside Drive.

(Now just a 20 mph speed limit road.)

The Officer said we should have come in from the other end and by the shorter route.  Riverside Drive end.

My mate pointed out that he should take that up with his Superiors and that he would with his. 

Screenshot 2024-03-16 07.34.37.png

Edited by Rooted

• Administrators

One near me that folk use regularly. 

They do seem terribly impatient when I walk down the middle. Oh no my laces have come undone. What’s that I dropped my hankie, excuse me a moment while I pick it up.

I know the three cars on the lane. Oddly never seen a delivery van use it as a shortcut.

As above posters, it’s a red ring sign, so contravening has some consequence. Like speed or one way. Sat nav’s generally won’t route you down one, so it’s a conscious choice to use, and bear consequences. 

if a local Bobby was talking to folk it’s obviously gotten to be enough of a rat run. I’d avoid using it anyway, less you’re on foot and have a hankie to drop. ;)

• Haha 1