General question on engine horsepower

I have a general question about a 2 l Audi engine which would be the same as a Skoda VW Passat Audi A4 my question is why is the 2 l in the Audi petrol engine only 150 break horsepower where as the superb 2 l is 190 break horsepower? I'm just curious why has Audi d tuned that engine? Is that not the same engine in the superb? Just a general question. I thought VW shared all its same engines in all four manufacturers

Modular design, common engine block, different capacities (1.6 and 2 Litre) twin balance shafts on the 2.0l, different turbos and mapping to create different power outputs and emissions to suit different markets.

The bonus being that I can buy a cooking 108hp (might be 110) and get cheap registration when re-registered in France where the same model only had a 5 speed gearbox because of the puissance fiscale rating then have it remapped to an alleged 190hp without changing any components, very reliable because I reckon its the standard VAG 170 map.

Ok then. So it's just done to get under certain regulations in certain countries. So this engine should be capable of at least 180 break horsepower just like the superb but done deliberately to get under tax regulations in the UK I thought it would be something like that but then just needed it confirmed. Would you know if the latest Skoda Octavia engines have gone to a wet belt and if they have what engines hopefully they haven't. Just a curious question

Are you sure that is correct?  the 2ltr has 150 kw output which is equivalent to 204 bhp according to the Audi website

• Like 1

Autotrader 2. L. Audi engine power 140 brake horsepower 2. L. TFSI 35 black edition if you go into performance  0.60.  8.9 seconds and the brake horsepower is definitely 148 break horsepower, I thought it would be the same engine roughly has the Skoda superb 2 l petrol which I think is kicking out 190 break horsepower just something that puzzled me. I thought I'd ask being that it would be the same engine. I've looked at a few numerous adverts on older trader with the 2 l Audi engine comes the same

Audi A4 advant 2 L that  engine I was looking at it should be 190 break horsepower but is advertised at 148 horsepower. Has it been electronically? Detuned to get into the tax brand for the UK but still the same engine they would put more or less in the Skoda. Superb 2 L which is kicking you out 190  horsepower

The Audi range is very confusing.

The new avant a4s seem to be standardised at 2ltr with the 35 being 150 bhp and the 40 at 203 bhp.

Exactly what I was thinking. It must be done for some tax reason. They have detuned a 2 L engine. I presume it's the same block as the 2 L suburb engine. Just remind me what is the 4.0 that is kicking out 203 break horsepower. Is that also 2 L engine save his me looking it up. Bloody confusing. Thanks mate

12 hours ago, Diljit said:

I have a general question about a 2 l Audi engine which would be the same as a Skoda VW Passat Audi A4 my question is why is the 2 l in the Audi petrol engine only 150 break horsepower where as the superb 2 l is 190 break horsepower? I'm just curious why has Audi d tuned that engine? Is that not the same engine in the superb? Just a general question. I thought VW shared all its same engines in all four manufacturers

There are a lot of variations of the 2.0L EA888 engine. There are several "generations" of engine, using different compression ratios, different variable valve timing (some on inlet, some on exhaust), different piston design, different turbos, with or without GPF, and a load of other different design changes. Oh yeah, and versions with direct & port injection vs those with just direct injection.

Sometimes more than a remap is needed to reliably achieve high power outputs, even if the engines appear to be fairly similar.

This video might be worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spmOpP-1sQE

Edited by EnterName
  • Love it! 1

Re PS/BHP/kW   & Nm.

You are paying for what you get and the Max PS/BHP/kW & Nm in the UK is not the max, it is the Minimum you should get.

You are not going above 3,000 ft above sea level in the UK, Ambient temps not more than 40*oC and not colder than -30*oC & the fuel is as it should be Petrol e5 or e10 or diesel.

(Not true with BEV,s though as if the Temperature / Battery is cold in ambient temps only as low as -5*oC then power can be reduced until the battery is up to a good temp.)

As to official VW Group Figures,  0-60 or 0-62 mph, top speed etc. 

They often lie.

A VW or Audi with the same engine, gearbox as a SEAT or Skoda and the same power can be shown as better performing.

They do not like CHEAPER cars looking as better performing.

(EDIT> Even if the VW or Audi is heavier than the Skoda / Seat.   But then the Kerb Weights can also be 'fiction' if you actually weigh the cars.)

This was true in late 2015 into 2016 after the Defeat Device Scandal and Euro 5 emissions. 

Euro 6 Petrol & Diesels were retested / investigated and VW, SEAT & Audi had ERRORS in their Test Results at their favoured facilities.

Fuddle not fiddle.  Deliveries were suspended, cars withdrawn and even bought back. 

Now Test Results were then given for some. 

They are little liars quite often. 

If the cheapest Skoda is lighter than the estate, and the Polo, Seat (and the Audi A1 5 door sister car even though it is 136 kW & not only 132 kW) which cost quite a bit more and would be a lower or the same VED class than add 'Success Ballast'.    Design, Manufacture & Test adding extra weights and stick them only on the Skoda. 

Others are making cars lighter,  VW tell Skoda, MAKE IT HEAVIER AND GO LIGHT UNDER ACCELERATION.  Do not just fit the correct rear springs.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.

58e68bea62c88_SkodaFabiarearweights(1).jpg.8a3ed183a486ac72406750281a1e222a.jpg.35c70b79cd6cb913326c422ff102ab1c.jpg

Edited by Rooted
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, Diljit said:

response

Holy moly I didn't even notice that what the f*** is all that about. They actually put white on one side of the car. What the f*** is this all about?