TPS sensor loss of power

Hi guys again!

I've been experiencing some loss of power when going uphill, sometimes I can't even reach 60-70kmh.

I took my car to the mechanics and was told it's the TPS sensor(I had check engine light on)

Would cleaning it be enough?

My car has tons of miles so I'm not sure if it's worth it(265000kms)

How exactly are you proposing to clean it?

1 hour ago, NEWGUY said:

was told it's the TPS sensor

Tyre Pressure Sensor !?

The usual source of your problem is a sticking variable vane control disc in the turbo resulting in overboost when requesting high torque (such as going uphill at low or medium revs).

You can temporally fix the symptom by stopping, turning off the engine then restarting.

Long term replace the turbo. Short term remove the turbo and mechanically clean it or use oven cleaner spray to chemically clean it [often called the Mr Muscle treatment. Can be done in situ on some engines but there are risks to emission control parts].

Can I suggest you add your engine code (found on a sticker in the spare wheel well) and your location in your profile.

I thought they meant Throttle Position Sensor.

In any case getting to the root of a problem via an owner recounting their recollection of mechanics BS101 is usually a guessing game.

I agree regarding the sticking vanes on the variable vane turbo and the remediation.

I doubt that they will do that though if cleaning the throttle position sensor (were it even possible) seems too much for them on a high mileage car.