Time to retire my MK3 VRS245 - what next?

Posted (edited)

I'm totally stuck on what to move to next - what have others moved onto from the MK3 VRS? I do enjoy other's opinions to bring thoughts on vehicles I might not have considered.

I've held onto my MK3 VRS245 for too long and now facing repair and maintenence costs (had to replace the water pump last year)  along with the usual degradation like the diamond cut alloys lacquer failing, rear window allowing water and mold ingress under the none sealed edges, black paint stone chipped to hell, interior plastic rattles etc. I think I'm also ready to give up on manual gears when sitting in slow moving commuter traffic.

Its been a great car to drive but I tire of the stiff suspension and thin tyres when driving the UKs potholed riddled roads. I've been a little spoilt with the 245bhp + all of the gadgets for the price paid. I'd like something a little more luxury = comfortable, but still has power. Today's used cars are still so damn expensive but I've got a 40k budget with a must have list of wants:

Petrol or mild hybrid only

At least 180bhp

45+ sidewall on tyres

Electric, heated seats

Digital Speedo

Automatic 

Saloon or SUV

2023 or newer

Comfortable

High quality interior fit & finish 

I've considered:

• BMW 3 & 1 Series - higher spec models have low profile tyres only. 

• Honda Civic - not keen on fast back style.

• Audi A4, A6 - higher spec models have low profile tyres.

• Volvo XC40

• Volvo XC60 - higher spec models break the 40k budget.

Audi A6 Saloon Black Edition seems like it might be the best contender for it's size, style, power, gadgets, you can get a spare wheel that fits in the boot!  Just not sure if paying the AUDI tax is worth it over Skoda + I live in the South East of England so prices for the cars and service are high. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by JimmyUK
Added text

2 hours ago, JimmyUK said:

- what have others moved onto from the MK3 VRS?

Five years ago I moved on to a Golf GTI 7.5, so a Mk8 now might tick some boxes?

I was recently looking at 272 Superb’s, but for one three years younger than the Golf, with the cost to change, I’ve kept the Golf and bought a Volvo V70.  Realise that’s not the direction you’re going, but the difference in ride quality with the 50 profile tyres on the V70 came as a very pleasant surprise 👍

Gaz

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Five years ago I moved on to a Golf GTI 7.5, so a Mk8 now might tick some boxes?

I was recently looking at 272 Superb’s, but for one three years younger than the Golf, with the cost to change, I’ve kept the Golf and bought a Volvo V70.  Realise that’s not the direction you’re going, but the difference in ride quality with the 50 profile tyres on the V70 came as a very pleasant surprise 👍

Gaz

I've passed on the GTI due to tyre profiles and I'm not personally a fan of the piano black bordered dash with touch buttons.

The L&K Superb with the 280 4x4 is very appealing - a grown up man's car with power!

How the V70 holding up? Pleased with Volvo build quality?

Edited by JimmyUK

Posted (edited)

Price the car you like and add into that the Smaller Wheels with more sidewall tyres.

There are good deals out there.

I drove a Ford Kuga PHEV today.

New and it was bought by the new owner for a very good price. 

Ford must be desperate to shift them. Or maybe Arnold Clark was. 

2.5 Litre petrol engine. Lots of tyre sidewalls.  Red Brake calipers.  Acceleration is better than reviews show.   The 7.3 second 0-62 seemed quicker.. 

EDIT.

I see they are showing over £40,000, which is why they must be giving good discounts or trade in prices.

Screenshot 2024-05-12 19.48.47.png

Edited by Ootohere
  • Thanks 1

I'm in a similar boat and my current favourite is coincidentally..... an A6 Avant Black Edition 45 TFSI. I want the virtual cockpit and B&O sound system. Tried convincing myself many times to keep the 245 but it's time to change. 

• Like 1

I'd be looking at a S/V 70 or 90 volvo's and staying away from the r design if you want ride quality.

Passat GTE worth considering also, if most days your journey is under 30 miles you can pretty much run it on electric and it would cost a few £ a week. 

• Like 1

Do you have Cupra's in UK? Formentor for example? There are 2.0 and 2.5 TSI, 4x4 and fwd.

Why not new O4 RS?