A rant.

walkie

Aside from some peeps typically pretending (I hope) to come from the dark side, Walkie, question: you (or your boss) employed this particular person for some reason, ostensibly to help with backlog tasks and she seems to have met your criteria in order to be sitting there. So why are you so upset now?

It strikes me that either you or your boss got it very wrong if you now feel you've chosen the wrong candidate. Perhaps you should be questioning your interviewing skills rather than disparaging someone who's actually prepared undeterred on a Monday morning to come and work for you "old farts" (agreeing with what someone else said).

IOW If you have problems with your job, quit taking it out on her. If you really really don't think she's suitable, fine, do something about it. IMO it shows you in a bad light to find amusement at the expense of another, for whatever circumstance. I believe it was Pepys who is renowned for being witty at no-one's expense.

Mo

[Headmistress mode off]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from some peeps typically pretending (I hope) to come from the dark side, Walkie, question: you (or your boss) employed this particular person for some reason, ostensibly to help with backlog tasks and she seems to have met your criteria in order to be sitting there. So why are you so upset now?

It strikes me that either you or your boss got it very wrong if you now feel you've chosen the wrong candidate. Perhaps you should be questioning your interviewing skills rather than disparaging someone who's actually prepared undeterred on a Monday morning to come and work for you "old farts" (agreeing with what someone else said).

IOW If you have problems with your job, quit taking it out on her. If you really really don't think she's suitable, fine, do something about it. IMO it shows you in a bad light to find amusement at the expense of another, for whatever circumstance. I believe it was Pepys who is renowned for being witty at no-one's expense.

Mo

[Headmistress mode off]

I didn’t take on this person, and I wouldn’t have done. I am surprised my boss has tbh, I’ll give it a week and I’ll express my opinions, any sooner and it will seem I haven’t given the girl a chance.

I am not upset I was angry. I tend to find I get on with a lot of people; sadly this person sat next to me is not one of them.

You are spot on about questioning interviewing skills as I am sat here baffled as to how she has a job with us, I guess all of us suffer from poor judgment every now and then.

Not old farts (I am anything but tbh) just seriously under pressure and having someone with the social mentality of a 10 year old springing up stupid questions every 30 seconds adds to this pressure.

I am not taking it out on her, I am ranting on this forum. I am too kind to tell her to shut up and work, she can’t help how she is and that’s fine. I am not poking fun at her in this thread; I am telling it how it is.

What do you mean by the "dark side" Mo ?* :confused:

*Thats a genuine question, by the way

just a hunch but maybe its in reference to my fondness for painting myself with blue wode and dancing around naked outside Alderley Edge mental institution with a pair of stag antlers on my head whilst sacrificing vestal virgins by the light of the full moon? :jedi:

just a hunch but maybe its in reference to my fondness for painting myself with blue wode and dancing around naked outside Alderley Edge mental institution with a pair of stag antlers on my head whilst sacrificing vestal virgins by the light of the full moon? :jedi:

Do you like Big Brother ?

TBH, I'm questioning the recruitment skills of your boss too - look at the other numpty he's got in the office!
I was going to say something about that actually..... he was spot on with me :D
you could allways discuss hanbag fashion :sofahide:
Or spelling? ;)

Have you tried exercising your management skills? E.g. "Did you have a nice weekend? I'm glad you've arrived early as we have a lot to do. Can you start on this first please and let me know as soon as it's done? I'll be working on this something which is important, so it will be very helpful if you can asssist when I ask you. (E.g. you'll hand a list of numbers to add up (find one!), make some phone calls etc and you'll review her success in a "formal" meeting at 2pm (whenever).

That way, she'll get a notion of contributing to your deadline and having a "meeting" with her boss at an appointed time :cool: That is easier to achieve, especially if you sitting next to each other, if you move her seat so that you are in a "meeting environment". Any intervention (chit chat) can then be countered with "Don't worry, we have our meeting at 2pm so we can discuss everything then." Making time to recall any Big Brother topics raised and have a comfy chat to recognise that she's not an automaton.

Smile openly, so she can share your joy when you've succeeded in your last task, or frown when clearly anxious. Ask in a friendly way periodically if she's OK with what she's doing, as if stuck on something (papers not moving as quickly as they should be) it might be why she's trying to draw your attention sometimes?

Regards

Mo

Have you tried exercising your management skills? E.g. "Did you have a nice weekend? I'm glad you've arrived early as we have a lot to do. Can you start on this first please and let me know as soon as it's done? I'll be working on this something which is important, so it will be very helpful if you can asssist when I ask you. (E.g. you'll hand a list of numbers to add up (find one!), make some phone calls etc and you'll review her success in a "formal" meeting at 2pm (whenever).

That way, she'll get a notion of contributing to your deadline and having a "meeting" with her boss at an appointed time :cool: That is easier to achieve, especially if you sitting next to each other, if you move her seat so that you are in a "meeting environment". Any intervention (chit chat) can then be countered with "Don't worry, we have our meeting at 2pm so we can discuss everything then." Making time to recall any Big Brother topics raised and have a comfy chat to recognise that she's not an automaton.

Smile openly, so she can share your joy when you've succeeded in your last task, or frown when clearly anxious. Ask in a friendly way periodically if she's OK with what she's doing, as if stuck on something (papers not moving as quickly as they should be) it might be why she's trying to draw your attention sometimes?

Regards

Mo

Or you could just get on with your work and ingore her as you've been doing. That way she'll hopefully get the push quite soon.

No point changing your ways to accomodate someone new if you know they wont fit in with your work ethic.

She's clearly a dippy moo who shouldn't be there - end of.

Times have moved on JR. We now know that although Mercury was thought in the past always to have a dark side, we now know that it does turn, albeit very slowly. According to my reckoning that should give us just enough time for a Mercury meet before being bathed in sunlight and some rotter will inevitably take a blinking video ;)

Mo

Times have moved on JR. We now know that although Mercury was thought in the past always to have a dark side, we now know that it does turn, albeit very slowly. According to my reckoning that should give us just enough time for a Mercury meet before being bathed in sunlight and some rotter will inevitably take a blinking video ;)

Mo

What video ??*

*Never thought I'd say that in reply to a posting by Mo

Goochie - take account that all people have to work with other people. I'm sure that firing is an option -well much already discussed ('scuse grammar LOL).

Almost all newbies in business are dippy till they work out what's required of them as shown by a calm authoritative person from whom they take their lead, however well educated they might be. If you can't see that, you'll either have a very high turnover of staff or will be a one-man-band.

That was a wind up wasn't it? And I fell for it. :doh:

Mo

Ok, my 2p's worth - I reckon she actually fancies Walkie :rolleyes: and that's why she's making such an effort with him ;) and tbh how can you not blame her?????? :D :D

I wouldn't know, but it's to me another managerial skill that Walkie will have to learn to deal with :cool:

Regrettably spoken without first hand experience.

:D

Mo

What, you fancy Walkie too, Mo ?

Cant say I blame you - he's a very pretty boy ;)

I've already reserved judgment given no first hand experience. Never thought you'd be my competition if I were to fancy him though :eek:

Mo

PS Suggestion for new forum: "Walkie's Official Fanzine site"

Respect to Walkie - Colin wouldn't need a lot of bandwidth for my fanzine site Saaaaah!

Seriously though, if you read this Walkie, it might take you out of the old fart category re your new assistant if you're a celebrity :thumbup: (The old photos might make it look like you're a has been.)

;)

Mo