Stereo Problems

I have looked through previous threads on here but still need some advice please.

Over Christmas treated ourselves to an aftermarket CD MP3 decoding, Aux in, USB in, SD MMC Card reading monster of a stereo.

I have a few problems.

1) When on there is a "click" or dull thud every 4 or 5 seconds when on stereo setting, now unsure if this is linked to the following problem, it may be.

2) The reception is Duff on FM I bought the thingy from my local car place (similar to Halfrauds) but unlike pics on internet mine has bare wire no clip on the blue wire. I wired this to 12V is that correct as it still does not do anything to imptove the signal.

Should i get another signal thingy from Halfrauds with a clip, if so where does the clip go?

I am normally good with electrics have a parrot 3100, an active Brodit IPAQ cradle with GPS and an Active SP5 cradle all previously installed with no problem this is the first time have played with the Stereo.

I had problems with my radio reception (threads in this sub forum somewhere), turned out the biggest part of it was a duff signal splitter (sometimes referred to incorectly as a booster!), when I got a new one from hellfrauds (same as before, audioleads pc-152 thingy) there was noticable improvement with it connected.

The blue lead is just for 12v so anywhere providing that should work (mine's on the electric ariel output from the head unit)

Try parking up somewhere with poor fm reception (I found outside my local halfords was a good place for that) then experiment with plugging the splitter in, and connecting the 12v - I found that music became crisper and the "tp" indicator on the head unit came on when connected and went off when disconnected.

also, without the unit in place (and with the original duffer also) I could not receive ANY MW or LW stations but with it working properly now there are loads being picked up.

Hope this helps.