Buying a New Fabia Automatic

Dear all

It not often that I intend to buy a new car. I currently drive an Octavia 1.6 FSI which I find on the large size. The new Fabia might be what I need for local shopping and the week end trip on the motorway. My local Skoda dealer tells me the automatic version is not due until 2008! I checked with skoda and was advised that the automatic version is also due to be released this month. My feelings is that my dealer in their allocation of 30 Fabias have not preordered automatic versions. Am I correct this is the way dealers work? If so does anybody know a dealer in the London/Bucks/Gloucester area who may have preordered an automatic version.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Peter

I did notice a "triptronic" auto on the price list. I wonder if a more convential CVT auto will be added next year.

My boss asked me to help identify potential automatic superminis for his mum to replace her Hyundai Accent and I had to discount the new Fabia purely as the triptronic wasn't appropriate.

It appears to be a bit of an unhelpful dealer here.:(

I would suggest going to another more helpful dealer, as they share a database of cars in stock, and they can do a juggle of allocated stock. ( Thats how I got my current Furby, my local dealer swapped one of his stock for the one I wanted. )

NeilWilliams: the new Fabia Tiptronic is a conventional 6 speed torque converter automatic, with tiptronic (ability to manually select a higher / lower gear if you don't want to just leave it in Drive). A generalisation, but a TQ auto is much better than a CVT (belt wear / engine revs soar and stay high till road speed catches up) or automated manual (jerky take up / gear changes).

Thanks for the responses so far. My next query was going to be about the Triptronic gear which Martin has answered

Peter

NeilWilliams: the new Fabia Tiptronic is a conventional 6 speed torque converter automatic, with tiptronic (ability to manually select a higher / lower gear if you don't want to just leave it in Drive). A generalisation, but a TQ auto is much better than a CVT (belt wear / engine revs soar and stay high till road speed catches up) or automated manual (jerky take up / gear changes).

Thanks for that. I think my boss is trying to get something without too many bits that his mum won't make use of. I have warned him that CVTs have been known to be prone to faults but that I don't have enough experience to advise him fully.

check out which engine is allied to the auto transmission. If only the 1.4 petrol it will be somewhat slow

Don't worry, it is only the 1.6 petrol, which should be pretty good.