Octavia vRS loses all power on start

Hi all,

Got my Octy vRS a few months ago (bit of a change from a 1.9Tdi Comfort Fabia!) and it's been fun, but a bit eventful. Had a few problems but the main one is the following.

Initially, the drivers door wasn't locking / unlocking with the rest of the car - occasionally (using the keyfob). Sometimes when it was unlocked (via keyfob) I'd try to start it and all power in the car would disappear. i.e. I'd hear the relay for the starter motor and then the dashboard mileage indicator, computer, courtesy lights etc would go out & fade back gradually. Multiple tries would produce the same result. If I got out of the car and manually used the key in the door to lock & unlock, the car would then start if I tried again. Switching on the radio would give the 'safe' message on the display for a few seconds.

It's been in the garage & apparently there was water ingress in the door. The door ecu was replaced & all was fine for a while (i.e. best part of 6 weeks). It's now doing it again. The garage has suggested I check the battery terminals for corrosion before taking it in. They're fine.

From my limited experience, it looks like a major short circuit somewhere. Any suggestions as I'm getting to the end of my tether...

For info it's a 2005 Octy vRS estate with 20k on the clock. :mad: No mods so far.

Thanks for any advice. :thumbup: I'm hoping someone, somewhere has had this issue before. It's a royal pain as it's intermittent.

I'd agree with Fordfan, well unless the battery is ok but the alternator's a bit weak. It's not like it would take the garage more than 5 minutes to check the terminals and run a meter over the battery and alternator either.