Is this normal?

A couple of weeks ago, I had my car in for a service and was told that there may be a problem with the Dual Mass Flywheel, but I'd have to let the problem develop further.

Due to the mileage I do, it only took a week or so to develop a bit more, so I took it in and the service manager wanted me to to book it in.

The car went in last Tuesday and has been there ever since - I spoke to the dealer yesterday and was told that they were still working on it and still had to perform some 'tests' and that I'd get a call when the car was ready. The person I spoke to said that they were still trying to find the cause of the problem.

Is this normal, or am I being fed some kind of line? They've given me a courtesy car and was told that I caould have it until my car was ready.

Could it be that there is a problem and they're waiting for parts or (and this seems very unlikely) am I being fobbed off?

Cheers,

guineapig:confused:

D'Oh! Never thought about the authorisation from Skoda bit! Thanks for that.

Would the dealer have to get authorisation from Skoda just to get the gear box off etc?

I just found it a bit strange - they've given me a car (Roomster) knowing how many miles I do and they've always been a good place to deal with, even though the car came from a different Skoda dealer.

Cheers,

Guineapig

Skoda are tighter than a nuns chuff when it comes to warranty and may want to send the area technical manager out to have a look before they do anything.

Can't blame a dealer for taking thier time making sure thier diagnosis is right, if they get it wrong chances are warranty wont pay for another repair for the same fault.

With VW you get order a gearbox straight away and know you will get paid for it, but they they have a bigger pot to pi$$ in if you get me.

Good point.

Cheers for that Lummox - I was getting worried that they couldn't find anything and were just keeping the car for a while to put my mind at rest sort of thing.

Last time it was in, they only took a day - the car felt like it was travelling over rumble strips quickly all the time - and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Cheers,

Guineapig

My flywheel disintegrated a few weeks ago, car had done some 38,500 miles. Fortunately still three months inside the warranty.

As you say that you are a high mileage driver it looks as though there could be a problem with the flywheels.

My flywheel disintegrated a few weeks ago, car had done some 38,500 miles. Fortunately still three months inside the warranty.

As you say that you are a high mileage driver it looks as though there could be a problem with the flywheels.

Yeah, the car is only 1 year old and has 35k on the clock.

It's had a rumbling / rubbing noise from the front since I got it. Front bearings were replaced along with new tyres which didn't cure it, so I guessed it was a 'feature' of the car. It's only in the past couple of weeks that the vibration and rubbing noise has got worse along with a nice moaning noise from somewhere at the front.

Cheers,

guineapig