Not enough power to new stereo??

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with fitting a stereo which is really baffling me :confused:

I had a crappy stereo in (not the original) which worked but decided to get a new one off a friend. It works fine in his golf and the first time I hooked it up in my octavia vrs it worked perfectly as well.

I tried putting it in to the hole and the cables were all being a pain in the bum so I took it back out and tried to sort the cables out a bit. Thought I would check it again and the stereo comes on but wont actually turn the face plate around. Try it in my friends golf and it works fine, try my old stereo in my motor and that wont start at all now. So, seems that the stereo is getting power but not enough to power it!! But it did work?? Checked ALL the fuses and not one is gone so Im thinking there is something else between the fuse box and the stereo that has blown.

ANyone got any ideas??

Sorry for the long post :)

Thx

Disconnect the wiring loom from the back of the stereo and check that you have a good ground , a permanent 12v (should read over 13V in practice) and a switched 12v when you turn the ignition on.

Also check that the two lives are the right way round as the car is wired back to front compared with the "standard"

Sounds like you may have lost the switched live.

Whats the switched live and how can i fix it :). I checked the live crossover and thats in order already.

Thx for the help, have to go and borrow a multi meter tomorrow before I know, but would be good if I know how to fix it. :thumbup:

Thanks for the help, I figured it out after looking at the wiring diagram in haynes and grabbing a multi meter. It was the fuse to the switched live that had gone. I hadnt realised there was 3 fuses related to the stereo!!