Octavia Service, murder tight sump bolt.

soviet

Hi Good old soviet here,

Yesterday I gave my Octavia Mk LX 1600 its first service. I jacked it up and found a 19mm ring spanner to undo the sump bolt, but it would not budge. I then tried a torque wrench, which would also not remove it. It must have been way over tightened.

I then had a flash of inspiration remembering that my brother in law had given me an RAC electric socket gun, last January as a present, which comes complete with a 19mm 20mm and 22mm replaceable sockets, which is really for use on wheel bolts. I lifted the car once again, and connected the gun to the battery, and then put the gun on to the bolt.

As one pulls the trigger the motor builds up speed, until the torque setting of the bolt is reached, and then the clutch cuts in to turn the thing. I had to operate the trigger about three times but it did the job in the end. I have never used one of these things before, but it worked a treat, and slackened off the bolt, allowing me to remove it with the ring spanner.

I had a 5 litre container of German 15/40w oil from the Lidl store, which filled the sump to the required level on the dipstick, after fitting a 'Fram filter' with about an eighth of it remaining. This time I made sure that the bolt was torqued to its correct tightness, as whoever did the last service obviously didn't. Will be replacing the air filter, and plugs next week.

I always believe that the way to retain a good working engine, is with frequent oil changes.

My car only does low mileage and so I will do this yearly, but if I use it more often, hence incurring higher mileage, then it will be six monthly.

Soviet:thumbup:

I had a similar experience when I first got my Octy.The car had a FSH from DM Keith:eek:,and the loon who replaced the sump plug had not only overtightened it considerably,but had mashed the thread in the sump as well.

I don't mess about removing the sump plug anymore,its far easier to use an oil extraction pump,and do the lot from inside the bonnet,plus I find it removes more oil,as I believe the oil within the oil cooler stays there when relying on draining,but my trusty Pela vacuums it all up a treat:thumbup:.

Hi Soviet.Yes there readily available,usually around the £40 mark, I got mine from Screwfix :)

Pela Pumps, Oil, Liquid Extractors, Oil Extract

Hi, and thanks.

I think that we have a screwfix in the town of Swindon somewhere and so I must find the place, and buy the Pela pump. The price is not too bad, and does save lifting the car, and removing the sump bolt also.

Soviet:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: