Potential Roomster buyer

carman

Hi all,

I'm new in this forum as I'm only considering buying a Roomster. I've yet to test drive it, but it does seem to suit me and my family in terms of space/practicality, fuel economy and price.

I live in Australia, and first Skodas arrived here only a couple of weeks ago. The Roomsters cost here around $30,000AUD (approx. 13,000 GBP) and come in one trim only, but with a choice of 1.9TDI or 1.6 petrol engine. Perhaps sadly, only the 1.6 can be equipped with auto transmission, and both my wife and I only drive auto.

Options offered in Australia include parking sensors, panoramic roof, roof rails and satellite navigation. A lot of other stuff comes standard: 6 airbags, cruise control, climatronic, ESP, alloys, CD/MP3, etc. If I decide to buy it, I want to include the panoramic roof and, possibly, parking sensors.

We have two kids and often travel together with their grandma, so we need room for 3 adults (all pretty skinny) and 2 children, and the luggage of course. My first question is, would Roomster be big enough for us?

Second question: would 1.6 engine with Tiptronic cope well with such load?

We currently have Ford Territory, and it suits us well in terms of space, comfort and performance, but it's bulky, thirsty and unreliable. We plan to replace it as soon as the lease ends next year.

Any advice welcome.

Hi Carman and welcome!

Tried to send a detailed reply but it says I'm not logged on - yet I am according to the screen. Ah well!

We took a couple of years looking at cars before settling on the Roomster and I'd recommend you get the centre head rest. The centre back seat is lower than the other two and anyone over 6 needs the headrest.

I don't think fitting in the Granny with your family should be a problem. The best thing to do is see if you can get a decent spell for a test drive. Just an hour is no good. We managed 48 hours so you can load up all the people and all the luggage and see if it will work.

We've had three older teenagers in the back seats with no problem and one guy on the Scout forums (I think) has managed baby, wife and in-laws with no problems reported.

See how you get on and let us know!

Regards

Laura

What about the 'Sports' mode? Does it help?

Sports mode? Didn't realise they came with Sports mode (Without a Vag Com hack)

Think about it like this;

1210kg + about 500kg of people and baggage

105bhp and 114lbft of torque

All sports mode will do on a tiptronic is keep it in a lower gear longer and shift quicker. It will make it more responsive but when all you have is 105bhp and 114lbft, how responsive do you think it's going to be?

Go and do a test drive, it's going to be a bit different to your Ford.

We took a couple of years looking at cars before settling on the Roomster

So, why did you choose the Roomster? Any regrets now?

We've had three older teenagers in the back seats with no problem and one guy on the Scout forums (I think) has managed baby, wife and in-laws with no problems reported.

Do you mean that the seats can be arranged in such way that it allows for more shoulder room? Otherwise, Roomster's rear seat is as big as any medium car's, and much narrower than Territory's.

Thanks.

Go and do a test drive, it's going to be a bit different to your Ford.

That's OK. In the end, I'm buying a car for my family, not for myself. I'm prepared to sacrifice some driving pleasure, as soon as it doesn't become too frustrating.

I will certainly have a test drive before making a decision.

Thank you.

That's OK. In the end, I'm buying a car for my family, not for myself. I'm prepared to sacrifice some driving pleasure, as soon as it doesn't become too frustrating.

I will certainly have a test drive before making a decision.

Thank you.

You may be pleasantly surprised ....they are not bad at all to drive........ shame they don't do the auto on the diesel as that engine is great for pulling loads

yeah, it will handle it but it won't set your world on fire in terms of performance.

basenji boy i would go for the 1.9 tdi roomster scout with the roofrails you can put on a roof box for extra lugage and i would go for a tow bar as standard.

you can tow 1000kg with a nose weight of 50kg

the wife uses hers to go to dog shows 4 basenjis dog crates 2 adults clothes 1000miles in a rount trip no problems + you get lots of admirers

:thumbup:

One guy on the Scout forums (I think) has managed baby, wife and in-laws with no problems reported.

That'll be me :) the third headrest is a must really given it is only £45 here, although you can retro fit quite easily. The rear seats have plenty of adjustment so squeezing everyone in will not be an issue.

Des

So, why did you choose the Roomster? Any regrets now?

Do you mean that the seats can be arranged in such way that it allows for more shoulder room? Otherwise, Roomster's rear seat is as big as any medium car's, and much narrower than Territory's.

We run cars into the ground so had lots of time to choose. (The predecessor is still going as a 14 yr old runabout). Needed to lug full-size 'cello around plus driver + 3 adult-sized people. We've never used a roof rack/box even with 3 children plus paraphernalia.

Test drove all sorts but the Roomster turned out to tick all the boxes and still does. No regrets so far.

If you can stomach gear changing, we find that with the 1.9 Tdi it's like driving an auto once on long runs. Very little need to change down as it copes with overtaking in 5th well. Another chap on the forum recommended the diesel regardless of mileage done as the driving is so effortless. He was right!

Regards

L