Control system for exhaust gases warning light

Hello everybody - my first posting !!!

I have a Fabia 1.4 100BHP petrol, bought Sept. 2006. Ran beautifully until the first service - then he next day, when ticking over at traffic lights -the engine gave a 'COUGH', ran very roughly and the Exhaust Management warning light flashed. The engine almost stalled, and ran very roughly for some miles, then the warning light stayed on (ie stopped flashing) and the engine ran more smoothly.

We have been back to the dealer 4 times now - and each time after a few days, the problem repeats - the dealer has changed the coil, the no. 3 injector, etc - but this only works for a short time. I am today waiting for the chief mechanic to ring me about what happens next - I have seen various postings about this not-uncommon problem (???) but no apparent solution ! Any help out there ???

Many thanks for an excellent site.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and my Fabia (2004, 1.4 16V) but it hasnt been a happy relationship with the car so far. Within two weeks my exhaust engine warning lightcame on and the car went in to safe mode. I got towed all the way back home as one of the cylinders wasnt firing. Took it to the garage asap and they couldnt find anything wrong with it. It has been fine until last week when the same light came on. It seems to be running fine no 'safe mode' or whatever its called. I took it to the garage who plugged a diagnostic kit in and said it was the O2 sensor in the exhaust. They said not to worry unless I notice any problems performance wise. They removed the fault and the light but it has come straight back on again. It seems like quite a few people are having similar problems. Just wondered if anyone had got to the bottom of the problem and if it was costly because I dont know if it is worth it if the car is fine and its just a sensor fault. The car does seem to use some oil and was owned by a old chap so may be it didnt get enough of a run out?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Hellen

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, same problem here tooday; EPC light came on, control system for exhaust and ESP light

Any explanation, this is a skoda octavia petrol 1.4L

Please

Edited by Monk10