THE unstallable car?

When stuck in traffic i use the clutch almost all the time. Between clutch and gears i slow down/speed up without the need for using accelerator/brakes. I regularly go from standstill up to 4th or even 5th gear without using the accelerator. Makes me laugh watching other drivers accelerate brake accelerate brake etc when i barely have to move my foot.:)

Blimey up to 5th the mind boggles will have to try that one tonight.

Have we established if this ruins your clutch yet as I am still in 2 minds if to do it or not.

what do you call properly?

I only really do it when stuck in traffic and crawling.

Mine doesn't pick up speed so I can change gear it just crawls along but I havent got a diesel.

When lifting off the clutch I can deff feel the bite more and the clutch working than if I use a bit of gas.

Have we established if this ruins your clutch yet as I am still in 2 minds if to do it or not.

The clutch is what "engages" the wheels to the engine so the clutch is engaged as usual for pulling away. However, depending on how much acceleration is asked of the car by the ECU, may harm the DMF. In my old Fabia, putting it in 2nd once rolling and not taking all feet off the pedals made the car accelerate at an alarming rate.

I'm not sure why you would want to use this technique instead of the accelerator or brake which give far greater control of the car! The brake also tells the person behind you you're slowing down which is good for those people who find judging speeds difficult.

Next we'll be hearing people who don't use the accelerator or brake but manage speed with their cruise control +/- buttons ;)

Chris

There's no real problem pulling away with no throttle, if youre gentle. However, if you create any driveline vibration the DMF will have to absorb it, so you might shorten it's life. Also, any time you slip or ride the clutch, that will wear it, so for good clutch life you should have it either engaged or fully disengaged as much as possible.

Wonder if it's a VAG thing as I've not noticed it on any of the other diesels I've driven ... and stalled? :o

Chris

Dunno, but I've had 4 VAG TDIs now, and they all do it.

I guess that depends - 6th will offer you no acceleration and no engine braking as it's not a very flexible gear at 30mph!

Chris

Its usually quite clear on those parts of the trip so not many reasons to slow down/stop

before I hit the outskirts of Hull i probs see about 10 cars MAX and they are usually coming the other way!

6th does offer no accelleration or engine braking but as the villages usually have a 40mph section at each end I can ease the accellerator (i mean gently touch it) and creep up to 40 then towards the end of the 40 ease up to about 45/50 to go back into the 60 zone

Steve

I can ease the accellerator (i mean gently touch it) and creep up to 40 then towards the end of the 40 ease up to about 45/50 to go back into the 60 zone

'Gently touch it' would be the order of the day here - trying to accelerate in top at those kinds of speeds will most likely result in a one-way ticket to KnackeredDMFsville... :(

Its usually quite clear on those parts of the trip so not many reasons to slow down/stop

before I hit the outskirts of Hull i probs see about 10 cars MAX and they are usually coming the other way!

Assuming the only hazards on the road are cars :D

Chris

I've experimented with this anti-stall feature.

I've driven out of central London at about 3am on 30mph roads,

stayed in 5th anti-stalling at 27mph approx 900rpm,

on a 90bhp 1999 octy.

By the time I joined the M1 after 8 miles

about 20 sets of traffic lights had all changed

to green as we approached,

the trip computer was showing an average of 135mpg!

Stuck at about 60mph all the way back to Yorkshire,

had 73mpg average on the trip computer.

Having said that, the car was on fuel saver tyres

at the time! It now has grippier rubber &

the fuel figures are much worse,

but it doesn't want to slide off the road now!

In car parks or stop start traffic queues etc if it's fairly flat,

I rarely use the accelerator. However I do use the throttle when pulling out of side roads, away from traffic lights etc ...

I find it pretty embarrassing when I jump in a petrol car & keep stalling!

'Gently touch it' would be the order of the day here - trying to accelerate in top at those kinds of speeds will most likely result in a one-way ticket to KnackeredDMFsville... :(
Assuming the only hazards on the road are cars :D

Chris

Indeed - If I need to accelerate i drop it a gear or 2 ;)

I meant i blow on the accellerator ;) :lol:

Steve