Fabia vRS smoother than Octy 2 1.9TDi

Recently drove a 57 reg Octy 2 (77kw Ambiente version) on 500mile round trip. Nicely kitted out etc. and the power/torque was obviously down compared to the96kw Fabia vRS, but what stood out most was the Octy 1.9 TDi felt a much coarser drive than my Fabia vRS.

The deeper profile tyres on the Octy made the ride slightly less crashy but getting back in the vRS, although 2 years older, it's a noticeably smoother flowing engine/gearbox/drive train combination. The Octy TDi engine definitely generated more noise that you could hear inside the cabin at most speeds.

I'd heard the VAG 6 speed box was much slicker and more positive than the 5 speed but its very much more noticeable than I'd expected. 5 speed's OK but is less positive than the 6 speed.

Took an earlier Octavia on similar run last year and it was equally gruff sounding/feeling. Had a Seat Leon 2.0 TDi 140 for a bit also and that was more like the 1.9 PD engines (probably the 6 speed box helped) but still not as smooth a combination as the vRS.

Anyone else found the same? Guess not everyone gets the chance to try them all out back to back long distance, but I cetainly found the 1.9 PD engine in the Fabia vRS to be the smoothest combination so far.

Wondered if the Octy 2.0 PD170 vRS had similar feel to the lesser spec'd versions?

the 2.0 PD 140 and 170 are much smoother than the 1.9 PD105.

Additionally don't forget your VRS doesn't have to meet the same EU IV emissions regs as the current PD105. As you mention the 5 speed box won't help either.

I find the PD140 much much smoother and massively quieter than the PD130 in the fabia VRS.

What tyres were on the octy as some of the factory ones are truly awful for road noise.