Arrgh! Woodie is terribly ill!

the 1.3 is prone to head gasket going. i say do it now.

i had one go bang properly at 90mph, sure wished i'd done it when it first showed signs.

Never realised this lump was a problem as mine seems fine and much stronger unit than my previous Rover k series!! I am forever bleeding air out of my parents rover and its bloody annoying!!

not a bad tip that!

got the bolts ordered today, so alls well.

as for mate- I was in his garage last weekend doing the brakes on his Missus 03 plate micra, so I'm a popular fellow at the moment:thumbup:

That petrol trick works on ohc engines only of you turn the cam to get each combustion chamber on the "rock" and remember to put it back to TDC1 afterwards. Pour petrol onto an open CC and it will run out :rofl:

Sounds like you're sorted for somewhere warm & with tea on tap to work then :thumbup:

That petrol trick works on ohc engines only of you turn the cam to get each combustion chamber on the "rock" and remember to put it back to TDC1 afterwards. Pour petrol onto an open CC and it will run out :rofl:

Sounds like you're sorted for somewhere warm & with tea on tap to work then :thumbup:

We'll see! the lump is pushrod tastic...

We've fitted the rad- as then we can move the car to my mate's garage.

Suffice to say, the bottom frame of the rad fell off when it was removed-totally gubbed...

On the plus side- the hoses etc didnt have much oil in them.

Cleaned the cap off, and will make a decision on the HG if more mayo is spotted..

Success!

Headgasket replaced, avec le shiney headbolts:thumbup:

head took about 4hrs inc cleaning etc.

Removing and refitting the alternator/bracket/belt tensioner took about 10 hrs:mad::mad::mad::mad:

fecking bracket stopped head coming off the studs at the front:(

Haynes book of Jokes doesnt make any reference to the 1.3MPI belt...

It runs now, and isnt eating coolant.

Although It now has a reluctance to start occasionally.. possibly the battery not charging/alternator troubles:thumbdwn: