New 1.9 TDI owner needs help / advice

Cliveski

I recently bought a 2001 (Y reg) 1.9 TDI Fabia with a genuine 13,500 miles on the clock.

The car has been serviced each year at Skoda but the timing belt has not been done, I will be getting this and the waterpump done ASAP but is there anything else to have done at the same time?

A problem the car may have is with the clutch release bearing. In neutral with my foot off the clutch I can hear a rumble type noise (like a dry ball-bearing rotating in a socket). When I press the clutch pedal in the noise goes. Could this problem be related to the low mileage? ie. something had dried out and needs lubricating. Is it recommended to renew gearbox oil / clutch oil once in a while? if it is the clutch release bearing can I continue to drive the car? or will this damage something else?

Cheers :thumbup:

I've had a release bearing sieze. It'll make a noise when depressing the clutch, not when sitting in neutral.

Noises whilst sitting in neutral, that go away when you dip the clutch could be any number of things from some form of transmitted vibration (i.e. odd but normal) through to gearbox bearings etc...

I'd certainly mention it to the garage. It reads like the problem can be easily demonstrated.

J.

My gearbox noise is noticable when the car is in neutral with the clutch engaged. A low rumble.

It's not got worse in 20 000 miles and the garage have said it's fine.

I had a properly noisy bearing in a dub gearbox once - that you KNEW about.

If it's going in then mention it - otherwise I wouldn't worry and put it down to new car nerves when you suddenly notice all the little dings after you part with your cash and before you stop giving a f*ck and remember it'll all be fine :)