1.8t 20v 4x4 octy strange engine noises.

Had this car a couple of weeks, bought from main dealer who also changed the timming belt as part of the purchase, but now the engine seems more rattley than it used to a couple of weeks ago. Timming belt was only done last week and it seems to have got more noisy since then. On start up there is the loud rattle of the tappets, but even after 10 mins ticking over it is still more tappety than it used to be, also there seems to be a rumbling noise from the cambelt side of the engine low down, maybe about half way down the engine. Took the plastic cover off the top, and it deffinatly seems to be tappets, but not sure how much noise they produce normally, in a normal 1.8t engine. As for the rumbling noise, could this be the water pump, no idea if this was changed when they did the belt, but will not be happy if they didnt change it. Service mentioned something about a thermostate that had partialy collapsed they thought and that was changed, but at the time of picking the car up, I was in a hurray, so never really asked much more, (maybe I should have done.) but now just abit concerned about all the noises, and as this is the first petrol car I have had in some years, (all others have been diesel) not sure whether I am getting worried over nothing.

Doesn't sound right to me, Mine is almost silent on tickover when warm.

I'd take it back to the dealer & voice your concerns, see what they say/do.

If you still aren't happy, have a reputable independant garage look at it & see if they agree with the dealer. If not, take their report back to dealer & insist on any repairs required to bring the car up to requred standard. (F.O.C. of course + ask if they will contribute to cost of second inspection:rolleyes:)

Hope this helps :thumbup:

NB If the water pump was changed (though i doubt it was) the main dealer would only replace it with another plastic impeller one.

If it does req. replacing then get a metal one ( I think GSF do them, not sure) & ask them to fit it.