loss of power

Martyy

my mam has an octy estate elegance 1.9tdi 110 on a 51 plate.

she keeps nagging me to post on hear about her problems thats shes experiencing with her car, she says that the car has random flat spots mostly when on an incline. she also says that when you boot it,it completely dies for a second. when the loss of power happens she hears a 'sucking' noise from the rear of the car (fuel pump?) the MAF sensor has been changed after searching on here with no sucess.

cheers in advance

Nothing like that with mine.

Are any of the warning lights showing?

Alternatively, if she's hearing a noise from the back of the car, does she run it at fairly low fuel levels, cos the feed pump's back there indeed, and that sounds vaguely like it's sucking air, or blocked. Also, when was the fuel filter last changed?

How about the breather to the tank being blocked ? Would fit with the noise and the lack of power. Had this problem once with a a Citreon BX when I overfilled the tank one day - engine kept on cutting out until the fuel level dropped below the breather.

Rob

The feed pump needs accessing through a hatch in the boot floor.

The breather is the small hole you can see inside the filler lid. Apply a garage airline to it, preferably through a football or lilo adapter, to clear it.