Fabia 2 Rev in the Red

Wondered if anyone had experianced this:-

I have a Fabia 2 80bhp TDI I was in traffic and needed to get out of trouble so put my foot down. I sudanly notticed the car stoped excellerating felt as if I had lost power. Looked at the dash my revs were in the red. I was in 2nd but was not expecting to hit the RED.

I note that the rev rang is a little short compared to other cars I have driven and you quickly climb up to near the RED.

Do you think the rev limiter kicked in?

Thanks George

I used to hit the rev limiter quite often in my old Renault (nothing to do with being able to do 60 in 2nd, ooh no! ;):D ), and if I held it there it would sound a bit like I was feathering the throttle really rapidly as it cut out, re-applied power, cut out etc. etc. One thing to bear in mind is that the 'unfettled' PD engines run out of steam above about 3750rpm. I've never driven an 80bhp one, but I imagine that's all that happened. The rev limiter is a bit like ABS kicking in: you'd know it if it happened! :thumbup:

I dont have the Mk2 Fabia but you could hit the red (and a lot higher than 3750 rpm) in 2nd without a remap, it kinda throttles it down though. The rev range isnt that great, but it's a diesel so that's kinda unavoidable.

3rd gear is usually the nicest one to get yourself in a nice acceleration :)

I had a 1.4 TDI Fabia (80BHP)as a loan car and found that the engine is very free revving for a diesel. The rev limiter cuts in at about 5,000 revs. You don't get the stutter like a petrol limiter as that temporarily cuts the ignition. All that happens is that the engine just won't rev any higher. I found that this three really smooths out nicely in the upper rev range. It feels a bit rough and hesitant at low speed.

Please remember that when your diesel goes for its MOT one test will have the engine run to the guvoner i.e. to this point and held for 5 odd seconds.

I remember one person (female if that makes a difference) who never rev'd beyond 2,500 and I mean never then I said why not - oh I dont weant to damage the engine I then explained twhat happens at the MPT she certainly was upset at that maybe I should have kept quiet but hey why lie.

no harm done if the engine is well maintained and warmed up properly :)

the red line on the diesels is quite steady vs a petrol. i also found that its easy to hit and alomst not realise, until you work out your not going faster that is!

i hear the cars having MOT's all the time and its the big old vans that make me want to run away before something breaks off when they do the full revs test!!

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't it part of the 'smoke test'? There were warnings about the diesel smoke test when it first came out as it had the potential to snap a worn cambelt.

I had a couple of diesel Vauxhalls - it was never a problem as long as the cambelt was changed when due.

Jo