40k service inc cambelt

While the book says it's been serviced annually (previous owner did 6-7k/year in it) looks like I've picked her up at 40k miles without a cambelt replacement being done. So now I've hit 43k and service + MOT is due 1 April I'm having the lot done this month...

I'm going with my regular indy garage who knows Pugs inside out and do tons of taxi Octys daily. I got my own 5L of PD Millers oil intending to do it myself but as he'll be ripping the engine bay to shreds he said hand it over and he'll sort the oil change out at the same time.

Anyway, quoted me £180 for parts / labour / VAT for cambelt change, and £30 more as I suggested doing the water pump at the same time as is recommended. This plus regular servicing so I guess air filter + brake fluid and coolant change and thorough examination otherwise.

He's getting the whole lot done one Sat morning as my office is in another town. I take it the price is fairly reasonable? I remember the local Skoda dealer quoting me £350 for cambelt change alone..!

Could be. Presumably you have a 1.9PD engine?

It is a lot of work, timewise as you have to do a fair bit to get to the engine. Any when you get there, you need to be careful blocking the engine off at the right position, etc. But if you local has done lots of octy taxis, then he'll be used to the engine.

But do you really need a cambelt change? How old is your car? I guess it's 3 years old going by what you said. In which case it's probably worth it. £180 is a decent price

Hi

Sounds like a good price to me would be interested to know where your getting it done as I'm in Dereham Norfolk and my VRS is 3 years old this month so no more main dealer services.Be nice to know of some where that you can trust and a reasonable price to.

Mike

AGR Autos in Norwich. Basically opposite the PC World industrial estate. Andy (the owner) trained at a main dealers before they went under, bought a lot of their garage equipment and set himself up. My Dad's used him for years before I got a car myself. We've had one issue with his work (which may have been one of his engineers to be honest) where a wheel nut doesn't fastened properly otherwise 1st class. I got picked up once by RAC and the guy said Andy had trained him.

You'll also get the benefit of a car diagram listing everything like tyre treads and an invoice featuring upcoming work that doesn't yet need doing. Not saying he's exclusive to this practice at all but it's nice to get the level of service rather than a basic "your car is done sir".