Hello! Newbie & a coupla questions

Hi all,

Short time lurker, first time poster :D

After a change in my driving distance & much caffeine supported reasearch I've decided on a Skoda Octavia diesel. :thumbup:

I have a 35 mile each way commute (half A road, half motorway) & will be going up or down the length of the M3 every 6'ish days, for the next 2yrs. I wanted something with cruise control so I can sit at 60mph, relax & maximise the mpg, as I'm getting fed up doing that in my P-reg Astra 1.6 :thumbdwn:

I've been scouring AutoTrader & it seems to be the Elegance or Laurin + Klement models popping up with cruise control (let's be honest, I want a bit of comfort too, I deserve it :P) with not too horrendous miles as I'll be putting on a fair few myself.

Ideal budget is around £5k, up to £6k tops, so I know I'm looking at 02/03 age group.

I've done a search for service intervals/schedules, as I want to know what major things should have been done, particularly with the ones I'm looking at being around 60k miles, but can't seem to find a list on the site. If anybody can point me to a thread or help, I'd be greatful.

Also, are the leather seats that much more comfortable than the std upholstery?

Apart from that, any hints, tips or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Ithankyouverymuchindeed :)

Welcome.

The cam belt will be the major one at 60K, not sure about anything else but there are far more knowledgeable people on here than me.

Spec wise both elegance and L&K are great. Hope you find the right one :)

Good afternoon & welcome :)

I can't really help on the Octy front as I have a Fabia, but good luck looking and the Diesel is the good option.

Have you researched the Superb range? they seem to be good value and are very comfortable for your daily commute.

Ben

I had an octavia MK1 Ambiente with cruise, and it was great for motorway.

Search on the usual lookouts for brakes, cambelt, check not burning oil on start up, servoce history, and checkout all receipts to se if there is a common item being replaced.

Either model will do, but check that the leather is still quite supple on the L&K.

I've got leather seats in my superb elegance and I like them. Do ensure the seat heaters work - each has its own control and heats up in about 20 seconds. Essential for winter driving and you should be toasted quite nicely within a couple of mins. :)

I've also got cruise control but rarely use it, even on the motorway. Unless the m/way is quiet and you can get a decent run, I find that the thing kicks in/out because of the flow/non-flow of traffic :(

Good luck with your choice:thumbup: