whoops

WOMEN! My gf was driving my car when she curbed it, aside from the rear puncture and the damage to the front tire - both of which had to be sorted out by me - the steering seems to get a bit heavy around a certain point in the turn. I'm wondering what anyone thinks it might be and how much it would cost to be reparied. The power steering itself still works, and most of the time it turns fine.

Thoughts?

I had that the day, SWMBO was out in car and she was reversing out of a space in a retail park when some idiot in a van decided to belt along the car park at warp speed, lucky he stopped in time otherwise my insurance company would be speaking to him.

Might be worthwhile taking it to skoda and see what they say or your local quick fit and get a quote

I had a power steering issue with my VRS before i sold it. Sometimes would not activate when turned the car on sometimes would! Appreciate slightly different. Mine was loose altenator connection. Simply fixed.

Luckily my GF does not drive and if she did, would not let her drive my car!

My power steering went on my Fabia 1.9 sdi Y reg, not long after I bought it from a garage 2nd hand.... had a 6 month warranty, so thought I was o.k. however.....

First of all, the steering went "stiff", then almost impossible, then very heavy (over a period of about 1 month) finally, I noticed a huge amount of Oil under the car in a Tesco carpark...Called in the Rescue Squad, transported it back home .. got the garage I bought it from to come pick it up and repair it.... the repairs were split 50/50, with me paying about £400 for the steering rack, and them paying for the labour.... Warranty? well very carefully worded, (and I argued with garage about it) but it does NOT cover RUBBER seals used in manufacture.... and as it was the rubber seals that had failed,.... no warranty ! !

Hope you get it sorted quick... (and cheaper than me ! !)

The only time my power steering has dropped out in my 1.4 8V was in -4C temp and as a female, I'd say it was unsteerable. Luckily, fluffy me was still in the car park :) The manual does say it can still be steered, but heavy, though beware as said above - someone reported previously that they'd broken the steering rack by trying to carry on. Whether the fault is cheap or expensive to repair will depend on what caused it really.

From my trying to drive mine with no steering, I'd be thankful that the collateral damage is as light as it is if I were you TBH. That damage should be covered on comp insurance shouldn't it, even if the power steering fault isn't?

Regards

Mo