1.8T remap/uprated clutch

Hi all, if I get a generic remap on my 1.8T Elegance, taking it to approx 200bhp and 204lbs/ft torque, do I need to uprate the standard clutch? I'm not planning any track days, or flying drag starts, just some slightly faster general driving and also I just like the idea of having the extra power there when I need it but I don't want the clutch to give out after a few weeks. I've read a bit about SMFs and there's a Valeo kit going for £280 but I'm also worried about idle clatter and vibration to the gearbox. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers :thumbup:

Im runnig a mapped vRS @ 208 BHP & 300Nmm of Torque and mine is going well on the original clutch

Thanks for that. Is the clutch on the vRS the same as on the 1.8T 20 valve then, and how long have you had your map installed? Cheers

Thanks for that. Is the clutch on the vRS the same as on the 1.8T 20 valve then, and how long have you had your map installed? Cheers

Think Ivve had the map about 6 months and done about 8,000 miles.

Im sure thay are the same clutch.

I put a remap on my Elegance, clutch lasted 2 days, cars done 40k miles.

Is that because you were thrashing it? :rofl: Seriously though, what did you do, apart from get a new clutch? What clutch did you get and did the remap people say anything? Could they have mapped a ridiculous amount of torque into the engine?

Guest musky

Clutch on mine went fairly swiftly after remap on 4x4 at 30k. I've got the Valeo one off a diesel which has been ok for last 20k. Some seem to survive others not so good - maybe its driving style or they are just borderline

Didn't ask the remap people, just bought the Valeo clutch kit for £80 from a mate at VW and fitted it as the flywheel was OK, was going to fit a VR6 or G60 flywheel & clutch if the flywheel was knackered but it wasn't.

It's a PITA to fit took me a day.

I guess it's a case of suck it and see :D I was only thinking of a generic map to 200bhp and 204lb/ft torque. Has anyone got any experience/advice about SMF clutches? I've seen a Valeo one on ebay for £275, or nearest offer, and it looks like it might do the job. The double sprung clutch plate is uprated to 250bhp but what about the torque rates? Does this matter?

I'm on the original clutch - remap was at about 16,000km and I'm on 72,000 and three years on.

I'm also still on the original brake pads so I must drive like a granny :rolleyes:

Nearly the same a my 03 plate:rolleyes: OE clutch on 60+k remapped at 12k 230+, still going strong even with the mrs driving it.........:P

Black one has 6 speed box with SMF, lots of clatter at idle:eek: but it doesn`t stay idle for long :cool:

Phil

i had a smf and sachs G60 clutch in my 4x4 and it had no clatter and operated like a standard clutch.

it also out survived two gearboxes :o

it got launched and abused on a very regular basis. tbh i would leave your standard clutch in but try and put some money aside over time so if/when your clutch does go you can put an uprated one in as its better to be safe than sorry.

no point in changing it for the sake of it.

i had a smf and sachs G60 clutch in my 4x4 and it had no clatter and operated like a standard clutch.

it also out survived two gearboxes :o

it got launched and abused on a very regular basis. tbh i would leave your standard clutch in but try and put some money aside over time so if/when your clutch does go you can put an uprated one in as its better to be safe than sorry.

no point in changing it for the sake of it.

Thanks mate. That's kind of what I was thinking – keeping some money aside just in case. It's just this Valeo clutch seems like a good deal. Hmmm, wonder if I should buy it and keep for that fateful day :confused:

if it works out alright then go for at, best to be prepared :D

but the sachs G60 itm is definitly a good one as no matter how hard i tried i couldn't break it and believe me i tried :D

just ask a few on here that i have given examples to, i don't do echanical sympathy most of the time, if it breaks it needs upgrading!!

Hello

We sell loads of the single mass ckutch kit

The ECS stage 1 @ £275 + VAT we have sold shed loads of these

The noise is something that you have to take in to account , but it is the same set up as the G60 one

Very good reports on these

Sarah

Guest musky
hey my clutch lasted a day after i had revo stage 1 put on my 4x4. new clutch cost just over 700 pound. i have done 7000 miles on mew clutch and no probs touch wood

Mine lasted a bit longer but still cost £720 total after a couple on months:mad:. Did you get Revo'd at Atthowes?

think clutches all depend on the life theyre given, if theyve been ridden all there lives a remap will accelerate and all ready dying clutch.

my brother S3has been mapped to about 260bhp about 10k ago and his clutch appears to be fine and he does drive cars extremely hard.

my octy 1.8t was remapped 15000 miles ago. i haven't got any problem with the clutch. the car has covered 70k all together.

it also depends on your driving style :thumbup: if you push it everyday to the limits it wont last long for sure.

the key here is most people that have killed their clutchs quickly after remaps are either diesels or 4x4's which give the clutch a far harder time than the FWD 1.8T's.

but i still think the sachs clutch is very good as i gave it awesome abuse and it never failed on me, although i never did ride the clutch, either drive normally or harsh launch :D

Guest musky

Clive said I was unlucky with the clutch going - maybe not if these are examples of how long other peoples have lasted on 4x4s. They must put much more stress on the clutch because of the lack of wheel spin I guess