Head-unit recommendations?

Basically am looking for a quality replacement VRS headunit. Must have a green display and USB port, other than that anything else is a bonus!!! Any pics or experiences/recommendations appreciated.....:)

Im using a Sony GT710 head unit, is very good, and was cheap, got it for £110 delivered, was reduced from £260 as it was last years model. Has 52w per channel, has red or blue display setting (sorry no green), has aux port on front, and 2 pre-outs on the back for amps etc, loads of setting to customize the sound, eg3 settings, fader and balance obviously and loads more, really is a great head unit, everyone seems to think the standard octavia speakers are poor but with my sound set-up there actually very clear and loud, alot better than cheapo 6x9 speakers.

i would check out the pioneer range as some units have a control over the colour of the illumination with 10 different choices. i personally have a deh-65bt (no usb - bluetooth instead) with the green illumination which blends in perfectly with the octy dash lights. i would def recommed for anyone looking for a bluetooth head unit, but im sure pioneer do a usb version as well.

Hi,

Ive just removed my Car-PC and replaced it with a Sony CDX-GT929U. I specifically wasnted one with a rear mounted USB port as I didnt want to risk snapping off a USB key in the front (Im a bit of a clumsy oaf sometimes!!!) and I wanted the screen to tilt in increments so that its easier to read. Its got Blue Red and Green display and all sorts of other bits and pieces that to be honest I dont use!

It does sound good (although Im not audio pro!), I have replacement mids up front, standard rears (estate) and tweeters.

Worth a look id say, Low Cost Car Audio | CD Tuners | Sony | Sony CDX-GT929U *CDXGT929U - CD Tuner With USB

The quick browser function is dead useful. If you want some 'Real world' pictures, just give us a shout.

Cheers

Rob

Rob - do you happen to know if this headunit supports the 6 CD changer as standard on Octy VRS Mk1.

Also im aware that some headunits require a little tweakery with wiring due to the diagnostics pinout on loom - did you hit any snags with this#?

Thinking of changing my speakers & headunit in the not to distant future.

Regards,

BTVRS

Hi,

I dont think it will without an adaptor. Here is one that 'might' do the job:

Low Cost Car Audio | Accessories | Sony | Soundlinx VW02SON - VW to Sony Interface

I say might as I have done no research on this as I had no intention of keeping the changer. TBH if you have an MP3 headunit with USB connection, you will probably not use the changer.

As for the K-Line, mine is still plugged in, and it hasnt trashed my vag-com cable, the garages Diag kit, or the Revo dealers kit. I would however, just to be on the safe side, snip it and tape it up - ill get round to this eventually!. Good info is here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/ice-security-insurance/iso-adapter-octy-vrs/107563/

And for the Pin-Outs:

http://briskoda.net/forums/ice-security-insurance/ice-iso-connections/47926/

I have been looking at some new speakers, the ones I have at the moment are from my first car (Pug 205) which had a bit of an install in it, they are a bit tired, but they do work. Ideally I would be after some tweeters that fit in the standard hole for them as I dont like them floating about on the dash. Just got to get round to pulling a door card off and measuring. Unless anyone knows off hand???

I do like Focal speakers, although if I spend any more money on the car the wife will be locked, loaded and hunting my backside down!

Cheers

Rob