BioDiesel?

Do a search on the forum and you will find a multitude of posts regarding the pros and cons of Bio and use when the manufacturer say NO. There are several issues using Bio in your 1.4 pd but none that make it impossible or even that difficult and if you run quality Bio in the right mix you will have no problems unless you have a DPF (Which tend not to like it apparently but as I haven't got one I can't tell you).

Lots of info on here and other forums. You just need the b4ll5 to try it all out ;)

The filler cap on my 1.4 deisel says it is not suitable, don't know why.

A lot of them are fitted with DPF's. There is also a perceived issue with Oil thinning.

I contacted the dealer about this and they put me onto Skoda UK, they told me that it could not be used as the bio diesel gels up in the high pressure common rail diesel system and clogs the diesel pump.

Sounds like bad news, but i dont see why pre-heating the bio diesel first wouldnt be a solution. this would thin the bio before going into the pump and from what i understand will prevent gelling.

My 1.4 tdi pd is only 3 months old, so i havent had the balls to give it a go yet.

Let me know if anyone has.

I contacted the dealer about this and they put me onto Skoda UK, they told me that it could not be used as the bio diesel gels up in the high pressure common rail diesel system and clogs the diesel pump.

Sounds like bad news, but i dont see why pre-heating the bio diesel first wouldnt be a solution. this would thin the bio before going into the pump and from what i understand will prevent gelling.

My 1.4 tdi pd is only 3 months old, so i havent had the balls to give it a go yet.

Let me know if anyone has.

It's possible if you run too high a concentration, it can leave a waxy residue if left too long and not treated to a forte every now and again. Preheating is really for the thicker stuff (Like veg oil which is different to Bio) and it would depend on the amount you put in. I am curently using recycled veg oil at 20%. Runs great.

Mind you, can you really trust a company that doesn't even know what engines are fitted to the vehicles it makes? The 1.4 is a PD which is not common rail and they have no issues with running on 25%+ mix for many, many miles.

do you see much of a saving using it in such small quantities?

Current average price of diesel = 119ppl

Price of my Bio = 96ppl

Full tank = 55l or £64.45

Full tank with Bio = £62.92

I use 2 tanks a week saving me £3.24 a week, which is £168.48 a year. It's not fantastic but there are several other things to consider;

The price of Bio until very recently was a lot lower and this recent rise has caused some concern but the price is rising nowhere near as fast as normal fuel so this saving will become better over time.

Also the Bio I use is recycled WVO meaning it's a good use of a waste product and has far less environmental and economic impact than a lot of other Biofuels (As seems to be the hot topic ATM). It's not all about the costs....:thumbup:

Thanks for that, I am not into all this tree hugging crap about global warming (known to scientists as natural climate progression) , its just another way for Gordon Brown to take more of my money.

I am however interested in saving money and thus letting the fat, cross eyed, money grabbing man in charge getting his hands on less of my hard earned!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am a bit puzzled,I have a1.9tdi scout and on page 206 of the owner hand book it tells you how great biodiesel is but on the filler cap it say no biodiesel!!!! I dont have the exhaust particle filter and cant see a problem but the dealer says "no" so why does the hand book go to great lengths to tell you how good it is?

Most modern diesel is 5%bio and this is gradually going up to 20% (at least so I'm told) so what happens if it changes will we be like all those whose cars needed 4star?

I am a bit puzzled,I have a1.9tdi scout and on page 206 of the owner hand book it tells you how great biodiesel is but on the filler cap it say no biodiesel!!!! I dont have the exhaust particle filter and cant see a problem but the dealer says "no" so why does the hand book go to great lengths to tell you how good it is?

Most modern diesel is 5%bio and this is gradually going up to 20% (at least so I'm told) so what happens if it changes will we be like all those whose cars needed 4star?

I think the whole "No Bio Diesel" thing is designed to cover the metaphoric a55 and they are entitled to do this. There are far more problems that could be caused by use of Bio than most people realise and it needs to be treated with respect.

My VRS used to run on it no problems, it used to just suck it up and get on with it. If you put too much in the Roomy you get dash lights, warnings and limp mode :( The code usually relates to the fuel pump (Lift pump I think) so either it's a little more senesitve to these things than earlier engines or it just can't handle slightly thicker fuel.

quick question, i've got an L reg peugeot 205 1.8 diesel (yes, its french, yes its rubbish, but i fit in it and its cheap to insure), reckon that'd run ok on this bio diesel stuff? or would i be better suited going and looking for a peugeot forum?

Also, where do you guys get your bio diesel from? i dont think i've seen it for sale anywhere round these parts (south norfolk)

quick question, i've got an L reg peugeot 205 1.8 diesel (yes, its french, yes its rubbish, but i fit in it and its cheap to insure), reckon that'd run ok on this bio diesel stuff? or would i be better suited going and looking for a peugeot forum?

Also, where do you guys get your bio diesel from? i dont think i've seen it for sale anywhere round these parts (south norfolk)

That 1.8 diesel if it's the turbo is a great engine. Unfortunately the XUD has a problem in that earlier versions can come from a time when a lot of rubber was used to make the pipes. Rubber pipes don't like bio :( and it could cause problems.

However, if it is a newer one with more synthetic pipes and it has a Bosch fuel pump can run on More significant quantities of Bio. The viscosity of vegetable oil/Bio when cold is too great for rotary injection pumps (in particular the weak Lucas pumps), preventing it acting as a lubricant and seizing up the distributor/rotary injection pump. In order to reduce the viscosity of the oil it should be heated to engine coolant operating temperature, typically with a two tank system on order to start and shutdown on diesel.

To find Bio filling;

Welcome to Biodiesel Filling Stations

Your better off looking on a Bio site uch as

Bio-Power Index page

There are a lot more if you search