Fabia Locking Failure

I'm reached the stage where I intend to sell my 55 reg Fabia 1.9td estate before the warranty expires. It has had an intermittent fault for the past two years where the unlocking mechanism operates by itself. As the alarm is not unset this then operates to invite would-be thieves etc...

I've taken it in three times for attention but the service centre can find no fault (I think this means they have plugged in the diagnostic computer and nothing registers).

The car is unusable for most purposes in this condition so I am hoping that the supplying garage will buy it.

Has anyone else encountered and successfully solved this problem?

This link will help know what's what you if you are thinking of rejecting the car. Either of the two above suggestions seem probable enough, however if it's a problem with the car's electronics, it will be with the convenience unit. I don't know enough about the diagnostics side of it to tell you whether a fault with it will show up when the car's rigged up to the dealer's fault-finder, however it's a 'black box' unit that ought to be easy enough for the dealer to replace under warranty. It could be that they're reluctant because the approved replacement method may involve removing the entire dash (not that you can't do it other ways! ;) ) But then again, if your car's not working properly and that the problem, then it's tough! Perhaps they need a bit of prompting?

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated.

Sound system is standard - as is the rest of the car.

The problem can (and has) occurred when I am miles away from the car so I don't believe it is a rogue key.

Sometimes I can hear the unlocking mechanism operating repeatedly even if the car is already unlocked.

A brief contact with Skoda made it clear that there is no hope of any assistance from them. I have considered pursuing action for redress but an intermittent fault is problematical in this area as well!

I've read elsewhere that there have been wiring loom problems with this model that dealers are very reluctant to address under warranty.

I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall something about dodgy connections in the wiring between the car body and the doors...

Give this, this or this a go. It might be as simple as disconnecting the battery for an hour or so...

• 5 weeks later...

I've got a similar problem. The little red light that normally flashes, glows when it's not flashing. Plus I couldn't lock the doors from the inside using the CL button.

On top of that, using the fob to unlock, I opened the driver door and there was the clunk-click of the CL locking the door, only it couldn't 'cos I'd got the door open.

My local dealer's having a look at it next week - still under warranty thankfully.

Before all of that though, when I was trying to get out, I'd unlock the door using the button and the door would lock itself again within a second. Although mine's a silver Fabia TDI and not a red Plymouth Fury, I'm still reminded, disturbingly, of the story "Christine". :eek:

I hope it's the control unit to be replaced and not an exorcism....:devil: otherwise I'll be :dung:ing my :pants:

Thanks for all of your helpful replies - finally managed to get a resolution - which would not have been achieved if I hadn't been able to suggest that checks needed to be made on the door senders and the convenience unit. Replacement parts ordered and fitted under warranty.

Car has not shown any homicidal tendencies so far...

• 4 weeks later...

Quick follow up to my earlier post and thanks to everyone at Briskoda. The dealer reported that there was a problem with moisture and dirt in the door which had caused the electronics to fail. I prewarned them this was likely to be the fault after what I'd heard here on this very forum...and behold, problem sorted.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.