Tutorial for cleaning & resetting Fabia throttle body?

I am going to clean my throttle body as the car is pinking (recently serviced including plugs & tried higher octane fuel), my question is their a guide on cleaning it?. I have VCDS lite but have no idea on how to use it to reset the throttle body (I only know how to read and clear codes)....so if someone could help here with a basic tut I would be forever grateful.

Oh I have a Fabia 1.4 16v .....laugh all you like :)

Edited by stemcell

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_%28TBA%29 I believe the second one is the correct one for your car (DBW KW1281).

If cleaning the throttle body with the engine running like I did, bear in mind that the ECU will log an over-fuel fault.

I believe according to the MFR manual you *SHOULD* always use higher octane fuel on the 1.4 16v. I have a hunch that the engine's reputation for piston ring failure is down to people using ron95 fuel.

As for the cleaning, on the 1.4 mpi 8v this is just a case of removing the engine cover and 3X 5mm allen key head bolts (will be different for 16v). Basically you remove whatever cover is over the top of the throttle body.

Edited by anewman

Don't do it while on the car, it is easy just to take the throttle body out and clean it, taking care not to get to much cleaner in the electronics area. I used Wynn's Intake and carburettor cleaner, the result was a lambda sensor change, even if it says that it is safe for lambda sensors(not sure that is because of it, but it happened the same time) so DO NOT clean it with the engine on. There are just 4 Torx T30 screws and the throttle body is out, you can reuse the seal under it if it is not damaged. Don't force the butterfly to clean it.

• 7 years later...

Quick question on this topic, Can you disconnect the electricals to take the throttle body? Will this cause any issues with throttle body alignment?

Cheers, N

I disconnected mine, removed and cleaned it and it worked perfectly again when refited. However, I know other people have needed to have a throttle body adaptation afterwards, so it's a bit of a mystery why some do and some don't.

• Like 1