Skoda Felicia gearbox breather

Anybody got any thoughts as to where the breather is on a Skoda Felicia?

My 1998 1300cc saloon is dripping gearbox oil from behind the speedo. Could be excess pressure in the gearbox

forcing oil up the speedo cable?

Can't see a sign of a breather on the gearbox casing?

Any clues from out there?

Cheers, Walt

Mine did this last year, then it broke down (on the M25). Turns out that the gearbox breathes internaly, when it can't do that it forces the oil through the only way left: the speedo cable. There was a thread somewhere about drilling a small hole in the gearbox and running a threaded pipe up to a container to catch the oil, but, to me, that just seems like dealing with the symptoms not the cause.

I ended up with all the oil blown out the 'box and the gearbox taking itself apart. I now basically have a new gearbox. My advice would be to get it looked at properly as soon as possible.

Same problem with mine last week, boy does EP stink!

Breather is on top of the box, directly underneath the clutch lever.

Either get someone with patience to press the clutch pedal down while you remove the plug, or better still wedge a length of wood between the seat and the pedal.

Plug is a tightish fit, WD40 helps. Take care as it is plastic. Pair of grips to twist it and break the seal of crud, then gently lift it up and out. Good clean, spray again with WD, replace and problem solved!

Job done.

Oh, remove the oil sodden insulation from under the dash, wash your mat/clean carpet, otherwise smell stays!