Engine Light But No Error

ypvs

Going to see a Fabia tomorrow. Seller says it has the engine management light on but the local garage scanned it and found no error. Is this possible? Is it down to the scanner the garage used? All advice gratefully received

Engine light = error otherwise it would not be on. Cause can be anything really, and would need a proper scan. if you can find someone local with VCDS maybe they can pop along with you and scan the car.

I've had this on a Mitsubishi, light on and no fault, using OBD software. Reading the fault might depend on if you can scan it with manufacturer specific software. I've had the same with a Fabia PAS light using VCDS and no code found.

• 2 weeks later...

Generic code readers read generic codes only. For example I read the faults on a Fabia recently using my phone and the wifi obd2 interface as it was all I had to hand, low and behold I get home and VCDS it and find faults logged. It's all about having the right tool for the job and clearly the garage he went to didn't.