Fabia recall - March 2012

My wife had a call from the dealer this morning for her new (to her) Fabia 1.2 TSI Elegance. It's an 11 plate and a recall had come in today relating to some gasket or other. She didn't ask them which one.

The service chap said that it was just precautionary and not dangerous.

Will find out more and update this post when we take it on this Friday.

What is that again ? I am really confused. I' ve read so far about service bulletins or how else Skoda names it about 1.2 TSi engines:

1. Timing chain or timing chain angle sensor (or something like that)

2. Turbine shim, something about wastegate's flange - shim (or something like that)

3. Now this one about head gasket.

Please if any one knows about VIN numbers that are involved let us know. I contacted my dealer and first he told me that he has to get my car plugged into VAS and after while he told me that my car is not involved becaused he checked my VIN number. I don't know what or who to believe. And I really don't know why Skoda does not announce these VINs so every Skoda owner will be able to know for sure if his car is involved or not. Or even better they could create an e-application that would accept VIN and send you an automated e-mail.

I realise that I am a Roomster user - owner but the engine is identical to Fabia's and I am a bit frustrated, so please accept my apologies for posting this.

Edited by stratosg

Hi Irfan, did they apply you an ECU update too ? If yes did you realise any difference ? I have a friend of mine that dealership performed ECU update and now he complaints than his car enters "turbo mode" at about 2.000rpm instead of ca. 1650 - 1700 rpm plus he noticed a slight bigger petrol consumption.

Hi Irfan, did they apply you an ECU update too ? If yes did you realise any difference ? I have a friend of mine that dealership performed ECU update and now he complaints than his car enters "turbo mode" at about 2.000rpm instead of ca. 1650 - 1700 rpm plus he noticed a slight bigger petrol consumption.

Pic is from our local Skoda forum. When the car (1.2 TSIs) has a turbo problem (EPC warning and turbo cut) and which cannot fixed solely by ECU update, they fit this turbo shim.

Dealer said "we search for a specific error code which can be fixed by shim adding, cars without problem does not need shim". This is all I know. The user of the car said that the turbo problem (EPC warning and turbo cut) solved after shimming.

Edited by irfant

Not really. Don't know how you can say that. This is no different to the different gaskets they had on the BLT engined Mk1 vRS's to fix the stutter. It's just an updated part. If you got nothing constructive to say then don't say anything at all. At least Skoda told the customer about it

Not really. Don't know how you can say that. This is no different to the different gaskets they had on the BLT engined Mk1 vRS's to fix the stutter. It's just an updated part. If you got nothing constructive to say then don't say anything at all. At least Skoda told the customer about it

No martyn I was not eluding to anything other than I hadn't heard of it before, no sarcasm intended " cars with no problem need no shims" as op was told by dealer? I was asking a question not answering the question, it was a genuine question as the car do not originally come with shims ! Sorry I asked the question , I'm always constructive lol

We check the part number of the turbo, if it's before a certain suffix a shim is fitted and an ECU update carried out (along with some basic settings)

The update is needed as the settings of the actuator is altered by the shim.

Is it about the F and G suffixes? I am unable to read turbine's part number but wastegate (the MAHLE one) ends in G. Is that what you are meaning about ?

My wife had a call from the dealer this morning for her new (to her) Fabia 1.2 TSI Elegance. It's an 11 plate and a recall had come in today relating to some gasket or other. She didn't ask them which one.

The service chap said that it was just precautionary and not dangerous.

Will find out more and update this post when we take it on this Friday.

i'll look forward to seeing you'r post on friday , i've just got my 2012 octavia vrs back form the garage because it was missing a gasket between the oil cooler and engine block . could it be the same problem ?

Edited by mitten74

Is it about the F and G suffixes? I am unable to read turbine's part number but wastegate (the MAHLE one) ends in G. Is that what you are meaning about ?

The details are on the side of the compressor housing on a flat surface, you need a mirror to see them as its underneath. I think if you have J K or L your ok, before that needs the rework but as always check with your dealer who can advise.

• Like 1

The details are on the side of the compressor housing on a flat surface, you need a mirror to see them as its underneath. I think if you have J K or L your ok, before that needs the rework but as always check with your dealer who can advise.

Thank you very much for that. I tried few months ago but i was unable to retrieve my part number. I will try again, but in a month I will book the car for service then I will know for sure.