BXE engine - to buy or not to buy?

Hi All,

I need a bigger car and I have found nice Octavia II 1.9 TDI PD Elegance to replace my trusty Y-reg Fabia I 1.9 SDI.

The car I've found is 2009 registered and had done so far 81000 and it has full Skoda service history.

I have seen it yesterday and I was going to have another look tomorrow with intention to buy BUT after checking engine code today (BXE) I'm not so keen any more.

It look like this particular model is prone to conrod failing.

Any advice on the subject of BXE engines would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I've heard of the off report of conrods but I think it only affected 2007 and earlier cars.

It didn't put me off buying mine (it's a BXE too).

The 1.9 PD105 often gets slated as being a bit underpowered in the Octavia but I disagree... our car shifts pretty well and will pootle along without breaking a sweat. It will feel like a rocket ship compared to your 1.9 SDI!

I assume at 2009 it's a facelift model?

Phil

thanks for quick reply.

i've found this interesting post relating to conrod failure

"I've worked on Audi's now for 8 years, and we have never seen a 1.9TDI engine failure. I dont know anyone that has.

Engine never just throw rods, there is always more to it. Only Diesel engines I have every seem throw rods had a back story.

e.g

(1)
We had and engine throw a rod recently (2.0tdi CR) fault memory loged a code at 7000+rpm, customer must have missed a gear (2nd instead of 4th most likely).

(2)
DPF issue causing ECU to repeat regen every drive, this caused large amount of fuel in the oil until oil was to thin to lubricate the engine pickup on cylinders and knocking bearings, guy kept driving til it exploded.

(3)
DPF issue causing, again fuel in oil, oil level ended up so high engine revved its self to bits on its own oil (its a diesel thing) google deisel runaway.

SO in short as long as there is no DPF you will be fine with 1.9. If you want a newer car with DPF, make sure its CR not PD."

source http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1262237

wikipedia says that VAG 1.9TDI PD (BJB, BKC, BXE, BLS) 2004-2010 had DPF available as option.

so now my question is how do I find out whether this engine does have DPF installed?

Hi, although i haven't actively looked for an Octavia find Skoda cars with a 1.9tdi with less than 100k is to say the least a challenge ( unless they are mega ££££'s over book ) well in my experience as the old saying goes..... he who hesitates....... 

I have a BXE pre-fl (56) with 118k, no issues with it at all and the power seems adequate for a daily car, easily takes motorway cruising and will happily nudge it the wrong side of a ban without you noticing . Mine was an ex cambs police car, so even with it being thrashed from cold it seems to be fine...if in need of a service...

I have also read a lot of problems with the conrods, but then, how many times do people take the time to say they don't have a problem? The stories I've read don't really make a dent in the reputation, especially with 1000s of Vag cars sold with this engine being problem free.

If you buy one and find it isn't powerful enough, a remap will soon sort it. A friend of mine has a Mk5 Golf with the BXE and it's currently at around 135bhp/280lbft with a remap alone. New inlet and turbo along with decayt etc will see a bit more...mine will be done at some point too...

DPF may have Been an option on the final run, as that would have been around when the DPF was standard...

Edited by MereKat

I had a 1.9tdi BXE 56 reg from new until last year. Clocked up 70K faultless miles. Brilliant engine. Would highly recommend it for economy and reliability :)

Apart from a single mass flywheel conversion under warranty at 35K the car was faultless all the time I owned it. Don't be put off by all these scare monger stories on the internet. There's a reason behind everything. I have a lot of taxi mates running 07,08,09 reg BXE Octavias with over 250K faultless miles and still going strong.

Good luck :)

Sent from my IPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

What's your budget?

If you don't mind the look of the pre-fl you could probably find a 57/08 plate model with reasonable miles for a bit less.

If you can save enough on getting a pre-fl you then have more money for the must have additions:

Maxidot (unless you can find one with it)

Columbus

HID light set

Light assist

All very easily done.

I personally prefer the looks of the pre-fl and find the FL a bit rounded on the front. The vRS looks better which a squarer looking bumper and DRLs.

Phil

thank you all for your replies.

I bought the car yesterday and drove it back home (Manchester -> Chester) and it was brilliant :)

I have part exchanged my Fabia and paid £5000 for the car. It's in very good condition in and out.

Before I bought it I took it for a test drive around town and on the motorway and everything was as it should be.

The only thing that I noticed was slight "wobble" when stationary which I'm blaming on dual mass fly wheel which I'm happy to get done when the time comes (I might also get it converted to single mass).

Now back to BXE engine :)

After reading lots and lots on different internet forums it looks like main reason for conrod failure is insufficient lubrication of the connecting rod bearing.

There is number of theories why lubrication is insufficient:

- design fault (apparently on previous/other VAG engines there was special channel/groove to get oil to all the right places)

- servicing engine in Long Life mode (after certain time oil looses it's properties and this affects lubrication, some people even pointed to Catrol Long Life as being the culprit)

- oil pump not being powerful enough in BXE engine

There is also theory that connecting rod bearing is made out of poor quality material.

Suggestions to avoid failure:

- avoid Long Life servicing and change oil every 10k miles to good quality one.

- inspecting connecting rod bearings and replace them if necessary (some managed to get it done by removing oil pan)

I will try to get mine inspected as soon as my trusty mechanic comes back of his holidays.

And now small gallery showing worn out bearings:

dsc0967.jpgpanewki_657.jpg8vme.jpg

Hi,

Glad you got the car.

The wobble- if there is no rattle noise that disappears when the clutch is pressed then I doubt it's the DMF.

Mine had this slight wobble when sat in N. In D it disappeared.

I adjusted the RPM by a few with VCDS (now 829 rpm was 820rpm) and it's rock solid and wobble has gone.

I am on fixed servicing as we only do about 12,000 miles a year so didn't want variable.

And remember now you have a TDI you need to not be in too high gear before accelerating and make sure to give it a good drive (rev it up to near red line a few times) as this keeps the turbo vanes and everything else nice and clear.

Phil

• 6 months later...

Dragging an old one up here, have you guys who went for the bxe had any issues like described on here?

Going to see a 2007 Octavian bxe soon. 79k. Supposedly full dealer sh. Cam belt done, stuff like that.

Any more casualties or good things to say?

Thanks for the replies. The one I'm looking at has had services but every 20k or 2 years. On long life. Not ideal. Needs another service and a timing belt straight away. Being a 2007.

Do you guys have face lift octavias? 59 onwards? and still BXE?

If it's done decent mileage between services then the variable servicing wouldn't concern me too much.

Are you buying privately or from a garage?

If you get another service done you can switch to fixed (10,000 mile or 1 year) servicing.

Timing belt is every 60,000 miles or 4 years on these engines.

Mine's a 2007 ('57 plate and a 2008 manufacture year model) pre-FL.

They did do the FL with a 1.9 105 but not sure which exact engine they used.

Phil

Pretty sure they are all 4 years or 60,000 miles unless the car was built after September 2010 then it goes to 5 years or 80,000 miles.

And I thought we did low mileage mike! :)

Phil

I have a golf TDi 1.9 130 ASZ 2002  I have have had it for a good while.  If the cambelt intervals are the same, it used to be every 6 years or 60k originally (from 2001 onwards).  Some years later they revised it to every 4 years or 40k most likely due to some snapping prior to being changed.  Not sure if the same applies to the octavia 1.9 BXE.

If long life servicing is a contributing factor to the conrod problem id rather get one which has been serviced with the correct oil etc every year or 10k rather than long life.  

This octavia has been done every 2 years pretty much on the dot since registration in March 2007, with just under 20k on each time. Average mileage id say, nothing high.  Shame it hasnt been done each year.  I service mine each year and would do the same if I got the Octavia.  Its had 2 services by a dealer and one by an independent.  Cambelt done by dealer after 4 years.

Hence its due a service straight away and also a cambelt straight away at 79k and approaching 8yrs old.

Its a bit of a "trade" deal via a garage, sold as seen with no warranty as its not one they would sell on due to its age, they would just forward it to auction to get their part ex/trade money back.

Via a mate of a mate, etc..

To be honest, I dont trust any warranties as far as I can throw them, they would try and wiggle out of anything at all given past experience

You guys look like you have what im after from your sigs - maxi dots, heated seats - wish I could find one like that!

If the price is right to allow for you paying for a service and cambelt then I'd say go for it.

Both Mike's and mine didn't originally come with Maxidot. We bought used clusters and had them retrofitted. Not a big/hard job at all. Just requires someone with the right software on a laptop etc.

Phil

Living life dangerously. 08 Golf and 09 Octavia with BXE block.

I've run the Octavia from 30k to 74k and its been great apart from DMF replaced under warranty. Golf uses a lil oil but otherwise fine.

I've done a little research here as I presume a few have. I've found the octavia 1.9 105bhp from 2006-2009 had 4 different engine codes. BJB BKC BXE BLS.

BKC only ran until 2006.

BLS was mainly scandenavian?

Which leaves BJB & the scary BXE.

Does anyone have, or heard of someone with a BJB? I've yet to see anything other than BXE while I have been looking.

If not, then aren't the majority of the thousands of these engines on the road the BXE anyway?

Seems unfair to lay the blame on the BXE coded engines yet a lot claim problem free motoring, well looked after engines, and well serviced up until the point they go with no warning.

Don't beleive everything you read, I'm a happy and not worried owner off an 07 BXE Engine, quiet from cold, uses no oil whatsoever, as people say you only ever hear of bad things on most forums, there are thousands of BXE engines quietly going about there daily business.

Hello,

I've heard of the off report of conrods but I think it only affected 2007 and earlier cars.

It didn't put me off buying mine (it's a BXE too).

The 1.9 PD105 often gets slated as being a bit underpowered in the Octavia but I disagree... our car shifts pretty well and will pootle along without breaking a sweat. It will feel like a rocket ship compared to your 1.9 SDI!

I assume at 2009 it's a facelift model?

Phil

Dragging an old one up here, have you guys who went for the bxe had any issues like described on here?

Going to see a 2007 Octavian bxe soon. 79k. Supposedly full dealer sh. Cam belt done, stuff like that.

Any more casualties or good things to say?

My wife's BXE Mk5 threw a rod at 114k in what appears to be a very, very rare case of the tens of thousands of cars sold with this engine. Car was always serviced according to schedule, she didn't drop a gear as she was in top cruising at motorway speed when it happened and I think it was just one of those things. She'd put 100k miles on the car herself and it was a well looked after, cared for car. I heard another instance of somebody else's BXE throwing a rod at 88k when they were reversing it off the drive and have seen a couple of wanted ads for BXEs from people who have also experienced the same. So there are a few, but there certainly aren't enough to warrant staying away from this engine. I got ripped off by an unscrupulous trader (I wanted to use more appropriate words but this is a public forum), who sent me a BKC but the car had been off the road for 7 weeks by then I just wanted it running. Within 12 weeks the bearings had falled to bits.

There doesn't seem to be anything that connects the different cases of BXEs breaking rods - as said the cases of them are few and far between but when they go it's regardless of how well looked after they have been, how hard they're driven etc (although I daresay the ones that get hammered are more susceptible).

• Like 1

That's probably right Mike as I think the 4x4 version was only one with DPF.

Traded my 2006 1.9 bxe engine model in a couple of months ago. 152k miles and still running fine, used no oil etc. Had the wobble on tick over virtually all 5 years I owned it but never had to change DMF or clutch. Cambelt was 120,000 kms or 5 years in book which is 75,000 in old money I think.