The do's and dont's when going abroad

Clunkclick

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/saudiarabia/11068152/British-man-beaten-by-religious-police-in-Saudi-Arabia-for-using-women-only-queue.html

One of the don'ts - the  story of a British bloke assaulted by the Saudi Religious Police ( Mutawa) for using the "Women only" hole-in-the-wall machine.

The Police unit's official title - The Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice

Nick

It suddenly makes you realise that the police here aren't actually so bad, despite what the bleaters would have you believe. 

Ahhhh ! The re-educative effects of a "Good kicking" ?

You've gota luv the Orwellian tones in that Police Unit title.

I should think that there might some increased anti-Brit sentiment now in that part of the world, especially following the stance UK HMG has taken on Syria.

But comme meme, nothing exceptional on the Foreign Office visitor info site:-

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/saudi-arabia

Nick

Perhaps, but you'd expect that living in Saudi and being married to a Saudi then the chap might have had an inkling? By no means excusing the outcome of events but rules is rules, and in the ME they're not backward about enforcing them. 

I personally prefer the Iranian Imperial Guard for that extra hint of Star Wars.