Custom POIs for MIB Columbus

One of the reasons I wanted Columbus - I knew the Amundsen would be a PITA with the maps on an external SD card.

I'm sure a firmware update could get over this but can't see it happening. Maybe because France and several other countries have made it illegal to have equipment that detects speed cams (even if switched off) in your vehicle.

Note. I know this was brought out to ban radar detectors and not equipment that uses POI's but there is still a lot of confusion out there. Some French made cars even have sat navs with speed cams built in.....

Having not really seen an amundsen is there not an option for Custom POI's?

Is it not the same as a VW Discover Media? If it is, it looks like MY2015 cars can use the VW website linked to above and can import personal POIs the same as a Columbus.

I've quickly scanned this. .Correct me if I'm wrong. You can download poi data for say speed cameras then upload to columbus and it will flag them on the maps?

Yes.

I now have the PGPSW speed cameras displaying on the map the same as the built in POI's. Download them in ASC format from PGPSW (you have to subscribe) and then you can convert them to a db3 format using the VW website I linked to, copy them to a SD card then upload them to the Columbus.

I am working on getting alerts when approaching POIs - I spotted something in the Green Engineering Menu the other day that got me thinking ..........

Same thing works on amundsen. You just need to deactivate write protection on map sd card. I used usb stick with the speedcam pois.

When you apply the poi the Amundsen will update text file in root folder and write two files in the first map. Rest of poi's db information will be copied to first slot sd card (not map sd card) root in one hidden folder called cpoi . I'm unsure if it will work without an extra sd card in slot 1.

• Like 1

Alert warnings can be changed by pressing navi - settings - navigation info (I'm unsure about correct text due to mine are in Swedish.

There you need to deactivate one of the map interest (max active is 10. I deactivated skoda shops.

In the bottom you will have the speedcam, press and hold! It will pop up new settings and there is;

only on route

alerts (5 different to chose )

And there's some other stuff that I didn't bother to remember.

I guess it's just the same on Columbus.

• Like 1

Alert warnings can be changed by pressing navi - settings - navigation info (I'm unsure about correct text due to mine are in Swedish.

There you need to deactivate one of the map interest (max active is 10. I deactivated skoda shops.

In the bottom you will have the speedcam, press and hold! It will pop up new settings and there is;

only on route

Doesn't seem to be the same on my Columbus, but it is a very early software version

You can select which POIs are displayed on the map, but there is no option for warnings

BUT

I have just activated the Green Engineering Menu using VCP and changed the setting from alert when near POI from 0 to 2 (the only options are 0, 1 & 2)

Then there is an option for the distance to warn you at, which I have set to 50 (seems to go from 0 to 255)

I'll have a further play tomorrow when I have some idea of what those changes have done.

• Like 1

Same thing works on amundsen. You just need to deactivate write protection on map sd card. I used usb stick with the speedcam pois.

When you apply the poi the Amundsen will update text file in root folder and write two files in the first map. Rest of poi's db information will be copied to first slot sd card (not map sd card) root in one hidden folder called cpoi . I'm unsure if it will work without an extra sd card in slot 1.

I wonder what happens if you had the POIs on the SD card to start off with?

only on route

I've just checked on my Columbus and nothing happens if I press and hold on a POI category either. What navigation unit are you doing this on?

Doesn't seem to be the same on my Columbus, but it is a very early software version

You can select which POIs are displayed on the map, but there is no option for warnings

BUT

I have just activated the Green Engineering Menu using VCP and changed the setting from alert when near POI from 0 to 2 (the only options are 0, 1 & 2)

Then there is an option for the distance to warn you at, which I have set to 50 (seems to go from 0 to 255)

I'll have a further play tomorrow when I have some idea of what those changes have done.

I'm interested to hear how you get on with this. I hope it doesn't turn on alerting for every category!

Yepp on Amundsen My14. The alerts do work but its pointless when they sounds 1-3meters after the speedcam. :/

Andyve the warning "thingy" you found is it possible to adapt with vcds or only vcp?

I'm curious to give vcp a chance.

OT

Is it correct you need to pay for single adaptions? and not like vcds only the cable?

Edited by Frallan

No you buy the cable and it includes a 1 year license for software updates.

After a year you have to pay a subscription to get updates, the software doesn't stop working though if you don't.

All I have done with VCP is enable the Developer Menu which gives you access to the Green Engineering Menu

How did you apply the poi's from the usb stick? Edited by Alex1980

Just plug in the usb stick and if you have done everything correct you will see "found new software" on the display, just wait 3 to 4 seconds and then press apply on the popup (do you want to install new update found on usb )

Btw I've got a new head unit (Columbus) and I think I found an official way to get this to work.

First you need to copy all files from the original unit (connect via usb cable to computer, use Tera term to connect via usb.

I've manage to copy almost every file. By files I mean the one you see when you press menu button on the unit.

Plugged In the new unit and display (another cable are needed if you got Amundsen)

You will see many failed to load etc when you start it up.

I copy the files from the new unit (13 more files than Amundsen)

When I replace the files (strait copy past)

I've now have one fail and that's tpms fail.

Al things seems to be working. No locked maps :)

Just plug in the usb stick and if you have done everything correct you will see "found new software" on the display, just wait 3 to 4 seconds and then press apply on the popup (do you want to install new update found on usb )

Btw I've got a new head unit (Columbus) and I think I found an official way to get this to work.

First you need to copy all files from the original unit (connect via usb cable to computer, use Tera term to connect via usb.

I've manage to copy almost every file. By files I mean the one you see when you press menu button on the unit.

Plugged In the new unit and display (another cable are needed if you got Amundsen)

WOW!

Well I've tried again, right from the start. I can create the poi files using the pocket GPS world files and the above German website.

When I put the usb in the car, all it says is "No playable files found" and it says the same matter if I'm in the navigation or not.

I've even tried through menu button, setup, system information, update software, but again I just get an error message.

Any advice or directions greatly received!