Custom POIs for MIB Columbus

If you have Amundsen don't do this without latest maps!

I just installed the speed cam on Amundsen that hadn't the latest maps.

When I try upgrade to the latest it wont accept it.

I think speedcam poi may interfere with the new maps.

I found one workaround that's working but it's pain in the ass. Put in the updated map sd card and don't press navi button. Insert the speedcam usb stick wait for update message and press ok.

When finished pops up. Remove car key. (Wait 30min or remove battery and wait 5min)

Now it's working again. I don't think Columbus will have any problems.

Edited by Frallan

• 1 month later...

Still cant get this to work on my 2014 Amundsen!

I've got the latest maps.....thanks andyvee, I've followed the instructions and created the custom poi's without a problem, using an ASC file and 39*39 pixel images in PNG format.

If I put them on a usb stick, I get a message saying "No playable files found".

If I put them onto a memory card, I get a message saying "Software download", but then nothing happens.

I've tried going through all of the menus, have searched the POI categories but nothing is there. Also tried to force an update by going through the setup menu - system information - update software, but again nothing.

Please someone help me, even if its just to tell me it cant be done!! :sweat:

• 1 month later...

Doesn't seem to be the same on my Columbus, but it is a very early software version

You can select which POIs are displayed on the map, but there is no option for warnings

BUT

I have just activated the Green Engineering Menu using VCP and changed the setting from alert when near POI from 0 to 2 (the only options are 0, 1 & 2)

Then there is an option for the distance to warn you at, which I have set to 50 (seems to go from 0 to 255)

I'll have a further play tomorrow when I have some idea of what those changes have done.

Hi all,

I'm playing with the POIS and alerts too. When you make the POIs using the VW web, then you can edit some files with the information of the POIS. There are three of them that are interesting, because they have some "fields" (the files are two data bases and a text file) where you can put information about warnings.

I'd tried the warnings changing these fields but nothing happened. Maybe I have to change the setting andyvee told, but I don't have VCP or a way to activate de Green Menu. 

The files are:

\PersonalPOI\MIB2TSD\personalpoi\ppoidb\1\default\poidata.db3 (can be edit using SQL Lite Browser)
\PersonalPOI\MIB2\MIB2HIGH\PersonalPOI\Package\0\default\poidata.db (can be edit using SQL Lite Browser)
\PersonalPOI\MIB2\MIB2HIGH\PersonalPOI\Package\0\default\categories.pc (can be edit using a text editor)

In the first one there is a table called pPoiCategoryTable where there are three fields called "warining" (a number) "warnMessage" (a text) and activationRadius (a number).
In the second one you can edit the information of every POI (city, address... etc)
The third one is a XML with the information of the images of the POIs. There is a value warnable="false".

The changes I did were:

Modify de warning field from 0 to 1, warMessage to the word "Radar" and activation Radius to 300.
Change the warnable value to true.

But nothing happens. Can anyone try the same changing the settings andyvee told?

Thanks and sorry for my English (I'm from Spain)

• 2 months later...

Well, I've read this thread a couple of times and I'm none the wiser as to if anybody has definitively managed to upload POI's on to an Amundsen and what method worked for them if it did.

All I know is what didn't work for me .. :thumbdown: which was creating a .gpx file of the relevant POIs,  using the link http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro.html to create my poi-sammlung, downloading the zip file from that, extracting the metainfo.txt file and personalPOI folder and variously placing it on a USB stick, SD1 (music card) and SD2 (map card) - when the SD2 card was installed, there was a 'software update' message, but no POI's or personal POI categories to be seen.

Have I missed something or am I flagellating a deceased equine animal ?

The car is MY13, Amundsen, Hardware revision 039, software 0171 and the maps were updated in January

p.s. WTF is poi category 'Autostadt' ? it appears enabled by default but can't find any - don't bother asking google translate, it says the english equivalent of the german 'autostadt' is 'autostadt'  :yawn:

Edited by gwm97e

• 1 month later...

Well, I've read this thread a couple of times and I'm none the wiser as to if anybody has definitively managed to upload POI's on to an Amundsen and what method worked for them if it did.

All I know is what didn't work for me .. :thumbdown: which was creating a .gpx file of the relevant POIs,  using the link http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro.html to create my poi-sammlung, downloading the zip file from that, extracting the metainfo.txt file and personalPOI folder and variously placing it on a USB stick, SD1 (music card) and SD2 (map card) - when the SD2 card was installed, there was a 'software update' message, but no POI's or personal POI categories to be seen.

Have I missed something or am I flagellating a deceased equine animal ?

The car is MY13, Amundsen, Hardware revision 039, software 0171 and the maps were updated in January

p.s. WTF is poi category 'Autostadt' ? it appears enabled by default but can't find any - don't bother asking google translate, it says the english equivalent of the german 'autostadt' is 'autostadt'  :yawn:

I'm also confused as to whether there is a way to import POI onto Amundsen :-(

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

I'm trying to put some POI on my amundsen (2015 model on french Octavia III RS230) based on comments from Frallan and faced an issue running update from sdcard 2 (1 is the original skoda map sdcard which i setted up in read write mode -- unprotected) saying :

"meta info cannot be read << translation made by me because if was in french "customer updates are not allowed in service mode" << no translation needed it was in english"

I downloaded Garmin gpx POIs from poiplaza,(around 20 different POI categories files for a total of around 100K POIs), uploaded them to http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs, then downloaded the converted zip file and finally extracted it to the root of the sdcard.

When I run update from the hidden menu (keeping menu button pushed 5s) on the amundsen it raises the previous error message.

I also tried putting POI on usb stick, but once inserted into usb it showed "updating ..." on the upper status bar, then it disapeared and nothing more (no confirmation popup, no new POIs installed).

Please note that meta info file in root path of sdcard is named "metainfo2" (also named the same in subdirectories MIB2 and MIB2TSD).

I'm thinking I faced the same issue as simonk1969...

Anybody faced this issue and resolved it ?

Regards

Edited by whren

Alert warnings can be changed by pressing navi - settings - navigation info (I'm unsure about correct text due to mine are in Swedish.

There you need to deactivate one of the map interest (max active is 10. I deactivated skoda shops.

In the bottom you will have the speedcam, press and hold! It will pop up new settings and there is;

only on route

alerts (5 different to chose )

And there's some other stuff that I didn't bother to remember.

I guess it's just the same on Columbus.

I try speedcam with gpx or csv garmin as original files, converted (by http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html) and successfully imported, but it does not popup new settings when pressing and holding a POI line for me, it just activate/deactivate the POI...

Are your speedcam a special type of POI ?

Autostadt is the VW factory at Wolfsburg. Customers can pick up their vehicle there. It is also some kind of car related "amusement park" with shows and so on.

• Like 1

I try speedcam with gpx or csv garmin as original files, converted (by http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html) and successfully imported, but it does not popup new settings when pressing and holding a POI line for me, it just activate/deactivate the POI...

Are your speedcam a special type of POI ?

So, does anybody succeed in customizing settings for proximity warning of POIs on Amundsen MY2016 ?

Edited by whren

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Correction on the above : I have 2015 amundsen model, so MY2016.

I tried the same as above but with http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html and it works !

So it must be http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs that have an issue at the moment with generated POI format...

Hope it can help others,

Regards

I've got  a discover pro system on my GOLF 7 and I've the same issue . The multimedia unit doesn't find the update files .

I've used the volkswagen personal poi tool on online