Buying a Mk1 VRS

tompka

Hi all,

New to the forum, currently driving a Corsa VXR and fancy a change.

Always liked the look of the MK1 Fabia VRS, few people I know have had them and highly recommend them.

Just wondering what apart from the Rear Door Seals and Rear Calipers should I be looking out for when viewing/driving one?

Looking at an 05 plate with 63k on the clock at the minute.

The normal will apply as to any car purchase, checking service history etc etc, 

Any common faults I should keep an eye out for too?

Cheers

Jordan

They are good cars the Fabia vRS but I wouldn't say they are as fun to drive as the VXR by a long mile, I came from a VXR Burg. They also cost a lot if you want to get more power out of them beyond a remap so I guess it depends what you want from the car. The handling isn't brilliant in standard form too. For me it was to save money on running costs while still being sporty and have a bit of poke and for that I cant fault it. 

Great MPG even when you drive it hard, I average about 42-45MPG but do a lot of short journeys during the week. On a run it'll easily do above 50, close to 60 if your very light on the throttle.
Generally solid interior give or take the odd random rattle.

Main things to look out for are the DMF rattle and any funny noises from the turbo, both be a good few hundred quid bill if they are showing signs of going. 

Also fairly common for the boost hoses to leak as they are a poor design, most just zip tie them up to prevent as much movement. 
Console bushes are also a common item to go but it's a given to check all the suspension components anyway. 
Cam belt should be done every 4 years or 60k, so it should have had it done at least once, probably due again as well being 9 year old, good idea to have the water pump done at the same time. 

Edited by mattbvRS

Thanks for clarifying Matt.

Yeah my main reason is save money whilst having a bit of performance.

I'm doing more miles for work now and I've put 20k on the VXR in 12 months. She's ran faultlessly apart from a blow out which could happen any time.

Spotted 2 VRS in a local garage both around 4k, one with 55k one with 63k on clocks. Downside is both silver cars and I despise silver cars. Although money saved off VXR would leave enough for respray etc.

Should really go test drive and check them out and see where I can go from there.

If saving money is your aim I'd just keep an eye out for the colour you want rather than having to pay for a respray or having it wrapped!

There are plenty out there if your willing to travel a bit. Also a good idea to test drive a few examples to get a feel for a good one and a bad one, I test drove about 6 before settling on the one I have now. 

I wouldn't pay for a re spray on such an old car to be honest Tompka.

As above; look for one in the colour you do like.

Other things to look out for off the top of my head:

Check the spoiler for any signs of lacquer peel.

Any signs of bumps, panel misalignment etc.

The top of the Gearstick wears and looks a sorry sight when it has done, you could use that as a haggling point, not a big point granted, but something.

A quick check under the rear footwell mats for signs of mould (they're rubber so the mould grows brilliantly on them) but I assume you already know about that!

Check the oil cap for any 'scuzz' or build up from lots of short journeys.

Lots of clean well looked after examples out there. I would also recommend driving as many as you can to 'get a feel' for what the car should feel like.

On the subject of swapping from a Vxr, you will notice the drop in performance, but the improvement in mpg will be a nice counterweight. Still plenty of mid range over taking torque. You'll just have to embrace the under steer :thumbup: haha !

Best of luck.

JRJG

Cheers JRJG, I'm in no rush at the minute so I'll hold out for colour and mileage that attracts me. Mot is due on VXR next month so it'll not be going anytime soon lol.