cooling fan issues Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi 2003

Majestic83

Hi everyone,

Pretty new to this site so hello to everyone.

I've got a Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi 2003. I've had it for 6 years now and before me my father owned it from new. It has been running very well still normally getting 55mpg on long journeys.

However recently the 2 cooling fans seem to be turning on as soon as I turn the ignition and running the whole time the engine is running. When I stop the car and take the keys out they still run. I have timed it and it seems to be for about 9mins before they turn off.

This hasn't caused many issues as the car was still running fine however yesterday evening it wouldn't start and the battery was totally dead. The only cause for this I can guess at is the fan. The battery was replaced in January last year along with new glow plugs.

I have noticed a few people on here have had similar problems and just wanted to see if any one knew of any reasons why this happens or how to solve it.

Thanks