Engine died without warning. Could it just be low fuel?

Hi all. Back again a little too soon!

On my way to work this morning I pulled round a pretty tight corner. As I straightened up and pulled away the engine died completely, and no power steering etc. I pulled over and switched off the ignition, gave it a few seconds, and then it started up again as normal with no problems.

At the time I was getting pretty low on fuel, so if it hadn't died so suddenly I'd think that turning the tight corner had sent all the fuel over to one side and stopped it getting to the engine. But I would've expected there to me more stuttering/hesitation if it was a fuel issue instead of stopping dead like that. I have heard that some 'modern' diesel engines cut out automatically when they're about to run out of fuel to prevent anything disastrous happening, which would certainly fit with what happened to me. But I'm not sure my Mk1 Octavia exactly counts as modern!

Does anyone know if this is a feature of an '03 plate tdi or is this just wishful thinking on my part??

Cheers.