Superb III and road noise?

Hi all, 

Sorry if this has been covered.

But ...... I drove a few Superbs today, a 2.0 TDI 150 Style with 18s with 225/45/18 Pirelli P7 and a 1.6 TDI 120 BHP with 215/60/16 Hankook Kinergy eco. 

I found the 16s to give a much quieter ride at 80 KPH over the 18s taking into consideration the P7 are rated at 71db and Hankook are rated as 71db on oponeo. 

Has anyone else thought about this, or am  been a bit odd :D 

Also, are the db ratings accurate on these tyre sites or just a paper figure... 

Finishing found all three to have slight rattles on acceleration.... 

3 dealers in the area were looking at me sideways, when I suggested the 1.4 TSI 150. Maybe its an Irish thing? 

Generally very impressed with the Mk3 over the Mk2, getting into the Style felt like Audi class. imo

Any feedback will be appricated

thank you for the reply FelisBengalensis, 

I thought the 16s were lost under the arch so wouldn't consider them. 

18s looked good but I think the 17s would be a better all rounder for Irish tar?

Hi all, 

Sorry if this has been covered.

But ...... I drove a few Superbs today, a 2.0 TDI 150 Style with 18s with 225/45/18 Pirelli P7 and a 1.6 TDI 120 BHP with 215/60/16 Hankook Kinergy eco. 

I found the 16s to give a much quieter ride at 80 KPH over the 18s taking into consideration the P7 are rated at 71db and Hankook are rated as 71db on oponeo. 

Has anyone else thought about this, or am  been a bit odd :D

Also, are the db ratings accurate on these tyre sites or just a paper figure... 

Finishing found all three to have slight rattles on acceleration.... 

3 dealers in the area were looking at me sideways, when I suggested the 1.4 TSI 150. Maybe its an Irish thing? 

Generally very impressed with the Mk3 over the Mk2, getting into the Style felt like Audi class. imo

Any feedback will be appricated

You're certainly not being odd, this is something most of us have experienced.  The difference between 16s and 18s is noticeable and its mainly due to the profile or sidewall as stated above. The trade-off is looks and 16s look tiny on a big car like the Superb.  17s are a good compromise, standard on the Style (SE L) over here, as you get decent comfort and they look okay.

Regarding the 1.4 tsi, yes its an Irish thing!  We have become obsessed with diesels in this country and IMO there are too many people driving diesels where a petrol would be a far better alternative.  This all started in 2008 when the new tax bands were introduced dramatically lowering car tax on diesels. Some of it is now just sales talk from the dealers as many petrol models have caught up in terms of emissions and fuel consumption.  Also, I just don't understand why somebody would be arguing over a couple hundred euros per year difference in car tax on a €40K car just because its a diesel?!  You might not be doing the mileage to justify a diesel but many don't do the maths anymore.  On the other hand I suppose resale values tend to be better for diesels in this country.

The dB rating is often confused with tyre noise inside the cabin but it is an external measure of noise i.e. how noise from the tyres translates to a point on the outside.

Hope you get the model you want.  What car are you coming from - is it a Superb II?  The III is getting pricey at the higher end specs but should still be really good car.  I'm not changing just yet but I'm seriously thinking about getting another one (my third Superb) in 2017.

Hello FREEDOM,

Thank you for the in dept reply. We are from the same location, and having the feeling I have  seen your L&K, that must be one of 2 or 3 (if even) here ? ...

I am sure I must have stopped to gawk at your car in the past. 

The car we are considering trading in is a clean 141 2.0TDi II Ambition.

A simple dB meter does not specifically identify levels at different frequencies. Frequency is important because people subjectively experience noise differently because they react to high and low frequencies differently.

Also the “noise level” test for tyre labelling is driven by environmental controls and not for user comfort. It is actually a coast by test (i.e. engine not running) to measure noise generated from the tyres of the passing car on the environment. Like all other tests it has to be carried out under strict conditions in an attempt to normalise the results. The label of 3 bars is to show whether a tyre meets current env standards (2 bars), meets future standards (1 bar) or meets neither (3 bars).

Therefore such a simple test can only ever be a general comparative indicator. For example, I have always found Dunlop to be the quietest and longest lasting on my cars (16” to 18” wheels) but then I bet there are many who would think I am crazy saying that.

All very subjective at the end of the day!

Pete

• Like 1

Hello FREEDOM,

Thank you for the in dept reply. We are from the same location, and having the feeling I have seen your L&K, that must be one of 2 or 3 (if even) here ? ...

I am sure I must have stopped to gawk at your car in the past.

The car we are considering trading in is a clean 141 2.0TDi II Ambition.

Mine is the 141 in magnetic brown with the ivory interior. I've haven't seen any others around actually apart from a pre-facelift L&K estate and I think there may have been one other L&K sold in the local dealer in the past year or two so rare enough around the Waterford area. I can well imagine the reaction when you asked about a petrol!! You're changing yours fairly soon if it's only a 141 reg? I'm disappointed that the L&K has become so expensive now - well over €42K now on the road for a 190 manual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk