Airbag Fault-00588

jamesy247

My first post, so not sure if it's in the right forum.

Car: 54 Octavia 1.9TDi 105PD

After having a near miss, hard breaking and the obvious horn bashing my dreaded airbag warning light came on.

I've had it scanned with a VAG305 (any good?) by a friend at work, and it gave me this error:

0588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95): Resistance too Low

00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95): Resistance too High

Possible Symptoms

• Airbag Warning Light active

Possible Causes

• Wiring from/to Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95) faulty
  • Coil Spring with Slip Ring (F138) faulty
  • Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95) faulty

Possible Solutions

• Check Wiring from/to Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95)
  • Check Coil Spring with Slip Ring (F138)
  • Check Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95)

After doing a reset it went off for a few seconds then came back on, indicating a real fault i'm guessing.

My question is how can it be fixed. Could I try myself or should I take it in to a dealer and be prepared to get ripped off, I mean pay a inflated price.

Any help much appreciated.

If it was the connector under the seat (which it probably is) then Skoda issued a fix for it so I'd like to think you could get it fixed without being charged.

Note #1: The driver airbag is the one in the steering wheel - not related to connectors under the seat at all.

Note #2: Fixing this would mean double checking the connectors and connections according to the factory repair manual with appropriate airbag testing tools.

Note #3: When copying information from out WIKI we would appreciate if you at least mention the source, even more we would like to see that you just place a link to the site since it's content is subject to change and copied information tends to outdate quite fast that way.

00588 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Note #4: We have seen these hand held scanners suppressing certain codes, they are also questionable in terms of the airbag control module issues - the same problems older versions of VAG-COM in combination with 3rd party hardware had.

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: VW Issues