grill troubles

hey there, im not happy, ive spent the last week or so spraying up the chrome part of an octy grill i bought, only to find out it doesnt actually fit. ive also got a replacement plastic grill because 1 of my fins os broken. whats the deal with vrs grills and standard grills? are they different. the part number for the 2 items are

grill: 00101113013 / 1u0853651

chrome surround: 00101113014 / 1u0853661

any help would be good as im ready to smash it in2 pieces with a rather large hammer.

mark

You haven't bought a pre-facelift grille have you? It's several inches wider than the facelift ones! If you saw the bonnet or car the grille came off and it had fluted rather than clear headlight glasses, and windscreen washer jets on the bonnet rather than the trim panel, you have.

forgive me for butting in

profile reckons his cars 180 bhp so id have thought its a mk1 octy :confused: are they all the same bonnets on all models if not its news to me:rofl:

i got a grill of a old taxi tdi when a pheasant commit suicide on my grill

just carefully seperated the chrome from the grill and painted it black ,clicked it back on and stuck my badge on with glue,looks better than new.

if i new how to put a pic on i would

sounds to me like you've got a fabia grill or felica lol ve va la ebay :thumbup:

I did the same thing. I bought a bonnet and grill advertised on ebay as an '03 plate Octavia item.

after driving 100 miles to collect it, I tried to fit it only to find the following

1 - bonnet too narrow at the windscreen end

2 - grill about 4 inches too wide

3 - bonnet hinges totally different

4 - washer jets under the bonnet instead of in the scuttle panel.

The I bought another bonnet and grill, this time off a '99 plate Octavia (non vRS) with the patterned headlights.

This one fits fine. (which would tend to suggest all Mk 1 Octavias have the same bonnet and grill and the first one I bought came off something else, like a Superb??)

One day I'll get round to grabbing the part number off the first bonnet and grill and checking with a Skoda dealer...