rubbish steering wheel

Time for my first moan.

Why do VAG group release some of their cars with bum basic steering wheels & gear knobs. As soon as you have driven a model with the "small leather pack"

the lower spec models really do feel like an 1979 Chrysler Alpine.:eek:

Even a basic Superb has AirCon ABS blah blah blah, 75 interior-lights etc.

But the part you most interact with feels cheap.

Nearly bought a brand new 1.9tdi 115bhp Classic the other day. Bargain price, mega colour CRAP steering wheel and gear lever. Asked dealer if he could retro fit and he looked at me as if I was speaking Welsh. (which I can't).

p.s. Anyone know why 1.9tdi (115) only has 5speed box not 6 like my mates Golf GTtdi(115)

pps: bet no one else can get an obscure french car so easily into a rant. ;)

I have a base model Superb. It's not perfect and I have a few criticisms, generally directed towards the UK representation of the product.

What in heaven's name is wrong with the steering wheel? It feels OK and it works OK - when I turn it clockwise the car usually steers to the right (unless you're really over doing it and terminal understeer has set in).

It's about the last thing I'd find fault with.

rotodiesel.

French cars?????????????? i **** better things than them:rofl:

It was a "Classic" model you said and they are very basic in trim levels.

IIRC the superb doesn,t have a 6 speed but i maybe wrong.

Do you mean in the 1.9TDI Engine only? If so you are correct. The 2.0TDi does have a 6 Speed though.

"bet no one else can get an obscure french car so easily into a rant"

No but I can get a number 1 seller in the same rant

My father-in-law has a 06 reg 307 and on a very hot day his supposed leather stearing wheel developed wrinkles when it got hot and stretched when he gripped his hands on it and did a 3 point turn! need I say more about French build quality!

as regards peugeot I've had a couple of 309 non-turbo diesels over the years

when money was tight and apart from the strange controls (which all french cars seem to have) They were good honest cars that were good on fuel and VERY CHEAP.

Just remebered a mate had a Renault9 and when he picked it up it took 5mins to find the electric windows switches - they were in the centre console almost out of sight

How we laughed. Luckily they didn't work that well so he stopped using them.:rolleyes:

Anyway back to steering wheel/knob I suppose I could fit a new leather one if ordered from skoda spares but what about airbag & at what cost

Just realised how O.C.D. I am should change my name to Monk:eek:

What in heaven's name is wrong with the steering wheel? It feels OK and it works OK - when I turn it clockwise the car usually steers to the right (unless you're really over doing it and terminal understeer has set in).

It's about the last thing I'd find fault with.

Rotodiesel, is that a slight hint of a compliment I see before me? :rofl:

You're loosing your touch :D

Nearly bought a brand new 1.9tdi 115bhp Classic the other day. Bargain price, mega colour CRAP steering wheel and gear lever. Asked dealer if he could retro fit and he looked at me as if I was speaking Welsh. (which I can't).

I've got a Classic as well. I will stop at calling the steering wheel cheap/crap whatever (you should try driving a post-2000 Vauxhall), but I admit that I'd like the remote stereo fancy pantsy thingy.

It is a bit a of a disappointment, but there's a couple of hundred of extra kilos of equipment on the Comfort and Elegance, and as I personally wouldn't use most of them I think it's a waste of, well, weight.

Anyway. My point is I'd like a better steering wheel - so I'll add my voice to the question, can you retro-fit a, say, Elegance specification wheel to a Classic?

Anyone ever seen the Steering wheel in a Dolly - then you wouldn' complain (And another French mention there!)

Being the owner of 3 Citroen Xantias (And 4 Fiats) before my Suberb, i just can't beleive the quality of my Comfort - 4 years and apart from the boot piston getting sticky, not a thing wrong. at 4 years of age, the citroens had been basically rebuilt, and the fiats were approx 25% lighter than when I had bought them :eek:(After dusting the British Layland Orange off them!)

I'd have to agree however - the small leather pack however is luverly.

Anyway. My point is I'd like a better steering wheel - so I'll add my voice to the question, can you retro-fit a, say, Elegance specification wheel to a Classic?

Ofcourse you can mate, it's just a case of bolt on, bolt off but don't expect to get the steering wheel functions working for things that you may not have on your trimi level............

Ofcourse you can mate, it's just a case of bolt on, bolt off but don't expect to get the steering wheel functions working for things that you may not have on your trimi level............

Like Maxidot? Yeah, I'm not so fussed - I'm more after the stereo controls tbh. I've got an Alpine stereo so they'll have to interface with an...erm...

*fumbles for his Autoleads catalogue*

Something.

Anyway, what other features are there on there? I don't think I've ever looked at one close up...

It does your cruise control as well and of course there the pointless small round button on the back of the cruise control buttons side of the steering wheel that turns just the steering wheel illuminations of! never have seen the point of it, anyone ever use it?

Like Maxidot? Yeah, I'm not so fussed - I'm more after the stereo controls tbh. I've got an Alpine stereo so they'll have to interface with an...erm...

*fumbles for his Autoleads catalogue*

Something.

Anyway, what other features are there on there? I don't think I've ever looked at one close up...

Ahh.............the good old Autoleads catlogue..............:rofl:

As stated, Cruise control, stereo volume control and the steering wheel illumination............:D

Ahh.............the good old Autoleads catlogue..............:rofl:

Yeah, I've got a PDF copy now. Any you get from store tend to be completely trashed - I'm sure you know how much they get used!

As stated, Cruise control, stereo volume control and the steering wheel illumination............:D

Sounds good. Might have to look into this - the stereo controls will interface with my Alpine as above; I'll try and retrofit the CC and I'm sure I can find the correct lead out the steering wheel to sort illumination.

Blue "sticky backed plastic and washing up bottle" Fox :P

Sounds good. Might have to look into this - the stereo controls will interface with my Alpine as above; I'll try and retrofit the CC and I'm sure I can find the correct lead out the steering wheel to sort illumination.

Blue "sticky backed plastic and washing up bottle" Fox :P

having retrofitted a DX Sat Nav unit in my Superb I have lost my steering wheel controls but it doesn't bother me as I never had them in the Bora but I am sure they can be connected up some how............:confused:

Slightly off topic but hey !

Tried to retro-fit CC to my new VW caddy tdi

Got VW to fit stalk (thats what a car mag had suggested):thumbup:

and hey ho ! nowt nada.:thumbdwn:

No Cruise not even VW could help:mad:

There must be a way to sort it but no-one I've spoken to has made sense.

unless you know different

Slightly off topic but hey !

Tried to retro-fit CC to my new VW caddy tdi

Got VW to fit stalk (thats what a car mag had suggested):thumbup:

and hey ho ! nowt nada.:thumbdwn:

No Cruise not even VW could help:mad:

There must be a way to sort it but no-one I've spoken to has made sense.

unless you know different

Send a PM to VRStu on here. He'll know the answer.