Fabia wont start when warm - no engine management light on.

I have a 1.4 16v Fabia and am having "warm start" issues with it. :(

The first time it happened I went into the petrol station came out 5 mins later and it wouldnt start.

Second time was when visiting relative - came out again 5 mins later and wouldnt start.

Third time was when I dropped the dog off at the kennels - 5 mins later wouldnt start - AGH!

As I was off on holiday that very day (and meant to be going in my car!) I had to abandon that plan and so it hasnt been driven since.

It sounds like it is firing but won't actually progress to actually starting. I have noticed too that if you have it in gear and try to "drive as normal" it does edge along slightly as if something is getting through and there is a blockage. I have had it on a diagnositic and it reported no errors ...no idea what to do myself. I do have an alarm problem too though - it keep going off so I pulled the fuse.

I have just spoken to my local Skoda garage who said they wanted it in for a while to experience the problem themselves and would then have to replace parts and see how they fair from there...! However, of course as a full time worker I need a little more of a sturdy plan than that! I can't just leave my car indefinitely...:(

If anyone has any suggestions / advice / guidance / miracle cures I would be eternally grateful!

Mushy

Well I'm no mechanic so can't help with the non starting. What I can tell you is that if you are putting the car in gear and trying to start it then it will move forward, but that's the battery turning your engine..if that's what you meant ..lol

horkin - thanks for getting back to me! I have to admit (though am sure it is abundantly clear!) I am no mechanic either! the engine just kept sounding like it was almost about to start so in frustation i had tried the in gear approach and, yes, that had made me coast forward a little...generally it will start in second after several failed attempts.

Am currently planning on trying the coolant sensor as suggested in a few posts I have read...

Watch this space I guess!

But of course if there are any other suggestions out there i would be more than happy to try them!

EDIT: just reread your post, and realised that this is a completely different problem - yours is starting but not running properly? Sorry, I'll leave this post here anyway in case it is the same prob.

Sounds familiar. I've had similar issues myself I think - does it tend to happen after a short run (e.g. to shop) then on restart sort of catches very briefly before stopping? Then repeated cranking will start it (hesitantly at first)?

I've found that just leaving it for a minute or so after it fails to start and then trying again will start it. I doubt what gear you have it in affects starting as you have the clutch in anyway.

This thread:

http://briskoda.net/forums/fabia/intermitent-starting-problem/88496/

suggests changing the spark plugs. I'm not sure whether this'll do the job, but I guess it's worth a shot - can also then see the state/colour of the spark plugs to see if the engine is combusting well.

If you solve it, let me know! When I've got time, I'm going to look into mine a bit more.

Cheers

Rob

EDIT: just reread your post, and realised that this is a completely different problem - yours is starting but not running properly? Sorry, I'll leave this post here anyway in case it is the same prob.

Sounds familiar. I've had similar issues myself I think - does it tend to happen after a short run (e.g. to shop) then on restart sort of catches very briefly before stopping? Then repeated cranking will start it (hesitantly at first)?

I've found that just leaving it for a minute or so after it fails to start and then trying again will start it. I doubt what gear you have it in affects starting as you have the clutch in anyway.

This thread:

http://briskoda.net/forums/fabia/intermitent-starting-problem/88496/

suggests changing the spark plugs. I'm not sure whether this'll do the job, but I guess it's worth a shot - can also then see the state/colour of the spark plugs to see if the engine is combusting well.

If you solve it, let me know! When I've got time, I'm going to look into mine a bit more.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the input!

YEs it is a short time between starts problem. It starts the morning after sitting on the drive al night and after sitting in the car park at work for 8 hours with no problem, but seems to have problems when I take a trip (perhaps of a certain distance) and then stop and re start the car within about 5 to 10 minutes.

My spark plugs were checked recently and ruled out. I have just returned from the skoda dealer nearby (who did not sell me the car) with a new coolant sensor - which I found as a solution to other similar problems from other threads! I have to admit though - and perhaps worryingly - on the way to pick up the part I stopped at the garage for about 5 mins, then the parts shop itself and on neither occasion did the car refuse to start afterwards...I hope its just part of the problem being "intermittent" and not a sign I have just wasted £30 or that I have more serious problem! I hope to fit that in the next few days so will keep you posted how I fair!

• 5 months later...

try your lambda sensor as this would cause this problem

I have the same prob with my felicia - just replacing lambda today, but these lambda sensors get hot/cold hot/cold 100's of times and are sensitive

lambda sensor is s servicable item which many peeps forget to replace

see link:

Lambda sensors / exhaust oxygen sensors

my very knowledagle long stading mot man says he has replaced many a lammbda sensor for the symptoms you are having