Audio system in Octavia Elegance

I've just taken delivery of a 1.8 TSI Elegance Estate and I am, in the main, very pleased with it - lovely engine :thumbup:

However, the audio system sounds rather tinny and feeble, regardless of adjustments I make to the bass, treble, loudness etc. (it says 'Stream' on the head unit). The audio system in my 10 year old Passat I've just sold sounded much better :(

Has anyone else noticed this? It it likely to be the head unit or the speakers or both?! Do Skoda supply a better quality head unit that I could replace this with and if so is this significantly better and how much would it cost? Or should I be turning my attention to the speakers?

Many thanks

Loz

Do Skoda supply a better quality head unit that I could replace this with and if so is this significantly better and how much would it cost? Or should I be turning my attention to the speakers?

Loz

Mine has Audience head unit and "Sound System", all installed by Skoda. It has superior quality.

Speakers woudn´t be a problem. I don't know if Skoda still sells "Sound System" but at least, you can get Audience that has better sound, receieves 6CD's in head unit and all can be MP3 with song names shown on display.

"Sound System" is made by amplifier that is installed bellow the driver's seat and two woofers that are installed in front doors, beside existing speakers.

Personally speaking I have changed both however it is generally thought that the head unit is pants.

For an upgrade check out MFD2/Nexus or if the budget will stretch MFD3/Columbus.

The MFD2 can be had from Ebay for around £300ish but the NFD3 is a little more.;)

I have also noticed that the Stream player is not great - not too bad but not great.

Had a look around on e-bay and couldn't find any obviously suitable replacement units - I know there have been links for all-singing GPS MFD3 type devices but I'd really just like a decent sound system rather than being able to play DVDs etc. :) Oh and I don't really want to pay Skoda £500 for something either ;)

A supplementary question for me would be, how easy is it to get an adapter cable to allow any replacement unit to be controllable via the buttons on my multi-function steering wheel? I could buy a suitable cable for my previous Meriva (~ £80!!) but is there something similar, or would I need it anyway?

I have also noticed that the Stream player is not great - not too bad but not great.

Had a look around on e-bay and couldn't find any obviously suitable replacement units - I know there have been links for all-singing GPS MFD3 type devices but I'd really just like a decent sound system rather than being able to play DVDs etc. :) Oh and I don't really want to pay Skoda £500 for something either ;)

A supplementary question for me would be, how easy is it to get an adapter cable to allow any replacement unit to be controllable via the buttons on my multi-function steering wheel? I could buy a suitable cable for my previous Meriva (~ £80!!) but is there something similar, or would I need it anyway?

Blaupunkt has a CAN -adapter available which allows the use of original MF steering wheel buttons with aftermarket player.

BUT, you'll lose the maxidot information. There's no adapter for that.

Blaupunkt has a CAN -adapter available which allows the use of original MF steering wheel buttons with aftermarket player.

BUT, you'll lose the maxidot information. There's no adapter for that.

Thanks for the pointer - bit of further digging found the following

Skoda Octavia installation

Which has the aftermarket adapter for Blaupunkt radios - anyone know if this works with non-BP units?

it says 'Stream' on the head unit

Does it say "Stream" or "Stream MP3". If it only says Stream, and your car is brand new then a visit to the dealer is needed as someone somewhere must have swapped the HU. All Brand new cars should have the MP3 version, this is a siginificant improvement over the earlier stream which was discontinued several years ago.

I have the Audience HU, which has the 6 disc changer in the HU itself and find the sound quality excellent for a car system. Its all in the settings and source material, it took a while to find the correct settings for my ears though.

Does it say "Stream" or "Stream MP3". If it only says Stream, and your car is brand new then a visit to the dealer is needed as someone somewhere must have swapped the HU. All Brand new cars should have the MP3 version, this is a siginificant improvement over the earlier stream which was discontinued several years ago.

I have the Audience HU, which has the 6 disc changer in the HU itself and find the sound quality excellent for a car system. Its all in the settings and source material, it took a while to find the correct settings for my ears though.

Do you have "Sound System" as well or just Audience?

Thanks for the pointer - bit of further digging found the following

Skoda Octavia installation

Which has the aftermarket adapter for Blaupunkt radios - anyone know if this works with non-BP units?

Should work for any unit. Also Connects2 has an aftermarket radio adapter to enable MFSW buttons.

If you have £400 to spend, look for MFD2 from eBay. It has a significant improvement to sound quality when compared to Stream.

If you have £400 to spend...

Ah if only! ;) Of course here is where the rule of married fiscal policy comes in... I say "capital investment to help contribute to a more stress free lifestyle" - the Wife says "£400 on &^%&^% gadgets..." and mutters about how the roof needs fixing or how the kids need clothes.

:)