cruise control not working

Hi... I just bought a 2004 superb elegance minus the owners handbook as dealer cant locate one (how hard can it be) . Cruise control does not engage when I press the 'set button'. Am I doing something wrong. There is a smaller button under the +/- buttons. Does this have anything to do with it.

Also...anyone got a procedure on how to set the seat memory.

Thanks

Hi

Look on the left hand stalk and you will see a big slide switch. Ensure that the slider is set to ON to enable the cruise. The way the stalk is marked it looks like a lights on/off switch !

Possibly previous owner hated cruise and left it turned off so did not accidentally engage Hopefully your problems are as simple as setting this On/off switch :)

Afraid mine is only a Comfort :( so no power seats but I am sure you will get plenty of help from those on here who have Elegances

Assuming the cruise is the same as the octy, Turn the cruise control on using either the switch on the top of the indicator stalk (or front facing you, depending on stalk). and then press and hold the + button for 2-3 seconds and the cruise should engage.

Also...anyone got a procedure on how to set the seat memory.

Thanks

First, ensure that the red button by the seat is in the 'on' position. Then set the seats to your liking. Then press one of the the three black buttons and hold it down until it pings. You have now stored those settings.

There are three black memory buttons to cater for up to three drivers seat settings. To restore the seat to the memory settings press the appropriate black button with the engine switched off. For safety reasons the seats will not respond to the memory command when the car is moving.

In the same way it is also possible to store the door mirror settings, as well as a dipped position for the n/s mirror that is only used when reversing. First, set both door mirrors to your liking, then set the mirror selector switch to the n/s position and engage reverse. Then readjust the n/s mirror by lowering it to reveal as much of the kerb as you want to see when reversing. Then press one of the the three black buttons (presumably the same one as you used for the seat position) and hold it down until it pings. You have now stored those settings. Thereafter, the mirrors will return to the stored position with the seats and the n/s mirror will dip when reversing so long as the mirror selector switch is set to the n/s mirror.

It is also possible to link a given key to any one of the three memory settings. Once that is done simply opening the door with that key's remote facility will re-set the seats and the mirrors to the memorised positions.

Edited by tarzey

As suggested it is probably just turned off, the rest is pretty straight forward:

- = set the required speed (if you keep it pressed the speed will slowly decrease)

+ = res(ume), press one to return to the previously set speed (this is lost each time you turn the ignition off) it also increases the speed if you keep it pressed down.

Cancel = turns the cc off.

The small round button behind the switches turn the switch illumination on and off.

HTH

Its located directly under the buttons on the L/H side of the steering wheel.

Feel the back of the wheel with your fingers and you will find it.

Dont feel too stupid.

My friend who works at our Audi branch had to deal with a rather irate R8 owner last week. Turns out he had spent £100k on his car and was concerned the engine was falling out. Upon probing the customer for more information he said there was a horrid clunking noise fromt he front end when turning left and right. My friend being a little confused as the engine is in the back not the front he went on a road test with the customer. Sure enough as he turned left he heard a 'whooosh thunk' and then right 'whooosh thunk'. My friend opened up the glovebox, removed the bottle of mouthwsh and asked the customer to try again. Funnily enough the noise was gone. Customer looked suitably embarressed but not a hint of an appology.

tut...lol

Dont feel too stupid.

My friend who works at our Audi branch had to deal with a rather irate R8 owner last week. Turns out he had spent £100k on his car and was concerned the engine was falling out. Upon probing the customer for more information he said there was a horrid clunking noise fromt he front end when turning left and right. My friend being a little confused as the engine is in the back not the front he went on a road test with the customer. Sure enough as he turned left he heard a 'whooosh thunk' and then right 'whooosh thunk'. My friend opened up the glovebox, removed the bottle of mouthwsh and asked the customer to try again. Funnily enough the noise was gone. Customer looked suitably embarressed but not a hint of an appology.

tut...lol

:rofl::rofl:

I don't think that the cruise control thing is stupidity at all, these things arent always obvious so nothing to worry about there...

Stupidity is the story I heard from an AA patrol man, looking at an engine and engine bay covered in oil and probing the driver if they knew why it might have happened and if they heard anything funny before it happened... the car was on the lady's driveway and hadn't been driven anywhere except the night before and the lady said it had all been fine... On further questioning the AA patrol man managed to establish some further facts... the lady had been concerned that the oil might have been low on the car and decided to top it up... Seeing a link the AA man asks how much oil the lady put in it... She says well I don't know how much exactily but I filled it with oil... AA man continues...'When you say filled it with oil'. Lady said, 'Well to the top of the filler cap and when I started it there was a loud bang'...

Mystery Solved.