Help requested with ABS fault code

TKW

Hello all,

I wonder whether anyone cold point me to likely sources of the attached error code. I suppose I'm looking for loose / dirty connections?

I've seen the wiki page, and wondered, to help me trace the cable from the Hall sensor, can anyone give me an idea of it's route to the ABS controller (and where this might be?!).

At least it doesn't seem to be the controller up the Suwannee :D

Many thanks,

-----------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ESP-A.LBL

Part No: 1C0 907 379 F

Component: ESP ALLRAD MK60 0104

Coding: 0023174

Shop #: WSC 31480

1 Fault Found:

00283 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Left (G47)

012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

Might worth making sure there isn't any dirt or debris stuck in and around the sensor and while you have the wheel off check the plug for signs of water ingress.

That number does refer to a left front sensor.

Hi Stu, thanks for checking the part No :thumbup:. Looks like replacing that is quite a cheap option.

I thought that dirt etc was more likely to throw the "Mechanical Malfunction" exception - I've logged wheel speeds and they show 0 for the front nearside. I'll do my best to check the connections with a scissor jack (!) tomorrow. You don't happen to know whether there are any other vulnerable connections between the wheel and the controller, do you?

Thanks again for your help,

TKW

It'll likely be the sensor. Removing it will be a bit time consuming as they get stuck and you eventually end up destroying it. You'll be quite surprised at the amount of copper wire that they contain. GSF do sensors which are around half the price of VW ones.

It'll likely be the sensor. Removing it will be a bit time consuming as they get stuck and you eventually end up destroying it. You'll be quite surprised at the amount of copper wire that they contain. GSF do sensors which are around half the price of VW ones.

I took your advice and got the GSF part on Saturday for about £17:00. I can't for the life of me get the old part out, though because, as you predicted, the unit split and I now have a large pile of "ginger hair" in the passenger footwell.

On the plus side, I connected the new sensor and now the ABS controller says that there's a mechanical error- yes, because it's nowhere near the ABS ring! That rules out loom or controller problems thank goodness. Off to a garage tomorrow with my tail between my legs, I hope that they have a bit more know-how then me and a few more tools than a pair of mole grips and an Allen key.

Thanks all,