First DPF Warning and the car is now in the garage

Basically had the following happen lastnight;

My DPF Light came on earlier (first time ever @ 36400 miles) - i was at the end of our lane, 1 mile later i was at home where i turned the car off. Went out this evening, and straight after starting the car had the DPF and Exhaust Control System light on - did 25 miles of driving in the DPF Regen Cycle 'zone' as stated in the Manual, and no better - then my Glow Plug/Engine Control light came on and started flashing and put the car into limp mode.

According to the book the possibilities are, my Particulate Filter is blocked/full, a Controller/Sensor in the exhaust has failed (probably Lambda) and then the Glow Plugs/Engine Control light is flashing (could be related to the duff exhaust sensor....)

Managed to get to a dealership today, and they plugged the car into the Diagnostics/VAGCOM (dunno what)

Came back out and put a piece of paper in front of me;

DPF Sooting Level - 105%

RISK OF FIRE - DO NOT DRIVE

Action, Replacement DPF

Well, pretty much that - the level is showing 105% and the recommended action is a new Filter

So, we are now having to go on our camping trip in SWMBO's Corsa :rofl:

Not a bad effort for the first time the DPF has flashed up for me - and the odd thing is, i hadn't driven in a town, or slowly for a couple of days prior to it lighting....

Strange as you do alot of miles and as you say not in town.Also you have driven "briskly" too so i can,t see why its at its full sate so quick :confused:

Hope the new one sorts it all out :thumbup:

Me too. Pity it's at Westover's... Though, they were pretty helpful today so far... I'll give them a second chance with this :rofl:

Doesn't sound like the DPF should be that full of soot from your description of circumstances, maybe you also have a faulty sensor that didn't detect that it was filling up and so didn't run the regen (burn-off soot) process early enough. Possibly covered by warranty if that is the case. Or maybe it isn't actually full at all (ie a faulty sensor again). Unfortunately the sensors on VAG DPFs seem to be significantly less than 100% reliable so far.

If you have to pay for the new filter then definitely keep the old one. I have a vague recollection that it is possible to clean them out somehow off the car, but can't remember where I saw the reference.

Doesn't sound like the DPF should be that full of soot from your description of circumstances, maybe you also have a faulty sensor that didn't detect that it was filling up and so didn't run the regen (burn-off soot) process early enough. Possibly covered by warranty if that is the case. Or maybe it isn't actually full at all (ie a faulty sensor again). Unfortunately the sensors on VAG DPFs seem to be significantly less than 100% reliable so far.

If you have to pay for the new filter then definitely keep the old one. I have a vague recollection that it is possible to clean them out somehow off the car, but can't remember where I saw the reference.

I won't be paying a thing for it - they said warranty anyway - the system logs the mileage that the alarms come up, so they will be able to see that the DPF came on, then the Exhaust Control light 1-2miles later, and where i live, it's impossible to get it onto a continued pace/rev range for the 5-15mins, so i'd have had no chance anyway :rolleyes::o

Good luck with the warranty work and Westovers.....gulp:thumbup:

Well, the typical Westover ball is rolling... :mad:

Called them on Friday (as i hadnt heard a thing since dropping the car off last Sat)

'Angela' on the desk deals with my call - i get told that the new DPF Unit had arrived that morning, but they were just clearing off some other minor work that morning (no mention of afternoon there...) and wouldn't start the repair of mine until Monday - as the service dept is only manned by one Tech on a Saturday - so great, no car, work not happy, not much i can do. :mad:

You'd think they would have wanted rid of the Octavia thats been sat in the Workshop for a week already...

I HATE Westover.