MAF Failure ????

My Octy VRS was running slightly hesitant and lumpy at start up after fitting the Jabba FMIC and then whilst giving it a bit of the old right foot the traction control light came on shortly followed by the engine management light!!

Is this the MAF giving up? Dont have VAG-COM and dont see the point in paying to get it checked if the part is only £50

If you suspect the MAF, disconnect it. This forces the car onto a a default air map, which is better than the nonsense readings a bad MAF gives it, so if it runs better, it's the MAF. Otherwise it's something else.

I own a 2004 otavia vrs 180bhp, when i start it first thing in the morning or when cold, the engine seems to run with a coarse noise for approx. 40 seconds, it then smoothes to a much more standard noise, is this normal?? any advice would be most grateful as i am only new to this site.

thanks.

I own a 2004 otavia vrs 180bhp, when i start it first thing in the morning or when cold, the engine seems to run with a coarse noise for approx. 40 seconds, it then smoothes to a much more standard noise, is this normal?? any advice would be most grateful as i am only new to this site.

thanks.

That will be your secondry air pump running, which helps the CAT get up to temperature, it's completely normal. Don't worry about it.

P.S. it's sometimes better not to drive whilst this pump is running as the car tends to run a bit pooh, some people find theirs ok whilst other have mentioned the pooh running, see how yours goes and then decide.

HTH