Odd rasping sound - vRS

My car seems to be having a bad time right now. Just hit 80,000 miles and I've diagnosed some clunking caused by the ARB. However I have also started to hear an odd rasping sound coming from the front passenger side of the car. It was noticeable tonight when raising the clutch and slowly creeping the car forward on a steep hill heading upwards. I've also heard a similar noise on starting the car from cold late at night when the car is idling but had assumed it was related to the aircon system, this was turned off tonight when the same noise appeared. The car was serviced recently too. Any ideas what would cause such an odd noise?

Hmm tricky one...

Could be clutch or flywheel related maybe (I basically have no idea!).

If it was just on startup I would have said starter motor, but it's not so hmm.

Someone will know

My description was not great so that will not help :D

Both times I have heard the noise the car has been running from cold for under 1-2 minutes.

It's difficult to describe the noise but it's very much like a strong rushing of air but with a very rough sound to it. Not sure that makes sense :D On starting the engine and sitting at idle the noise starts and stops several times.

Yeah it's your secondary air pump mate.

It is normal from cold start, and will make a fan-like noise. There is a common problem with the rivets holding the pump together corroding away and allowing a gap, causing extra noise. Easy fix it to just drill out the rivets and replace with bolts (there is a guide on here, cos someone asked this last week). If you want to inspect it for this, just get under the car and have a look at it, it's just infront of the sump.

It's no major problem though, and won't effect your car in any terrible way! The cheap plastic air pump just pumps fresh air down the exhaust, to initiate the combustion of exhaust gases in the cat during cold start, heating it up more quickly for emissions. (VVT also operates in this period, setting the valves to a 'massive overlap' period). Some people report a 'pod racer' like sound coming from the exhaust while the pump runs, others report very rough running due to it. All in the name of emissions....

Basically don't be surprised if ur car runs like a bag of turds for the first couple of mins from cold! The VVT and secondary air pump screw with it big time!

Which is completely normal tbh.

Yeah, I just get sick of the "Is your exhaust blowing?" question :D

Mine also runs like poop when the pump is doing its thing. Silly device really, I have no problem with a bit of extra pollution in the mornings :rofl:

Yeah it's your secondary air pump mate.

It is normal from cold start, and will make a fan-like noise. There is a common problem with the rivets holding the pump together corroding away and allowing a gap, causing extra noise. Easy fix it to just drill out the rivets and replace with bolts (there is a guide on here, cos someone asked this last week). If you want to inspect it for this, just get under the car and have a look at it, it's just infront of the sump.

It's no major problem though, and won't effect your car in any terrible way! The cheap plastic air pump just pumps fresh air down the exhaust, to initiate the combustion of exhaust gases in the cat during cold start, heating it up more quickly for emissions. (VVT also operates in this period, setting the valves to a 'massive overlap' period). Some people report a 'pod racer' like sound coming from the exhaust while the pump runs, others report very rough running due to it. All in the name of emissions....

Basically don't be surprised if ur car runs like a bag of turds for the first couple of mins from cold! The VVT and secondary air pump screw with it big time!

I`ve only had the VRS a couple of weeks and i thought it sounded like the zorst was blowing,and was ruff as f=*k when cold.

Itall makes sense now:thumbup::thumbup:

On listening to the noise some more it actually sounds very much like a steam iron. To be fair I think my descriptions are gradually getting worse :D

The most annoying noise from inside the vRS is the squeaking polystyrene door lining. I've never found a good cure for this though.

That sounds like intake noise and your turbo spooling, I've always thought mine was louder when cold if I'm honest. And the fact that only hear it when creeping along could make you hear it better and explain why you don't hear it all the time.

HTH

Bit of a left field suggestion, could it be the ABS pump?

That sounds very much like the puff of steam coming from a steam iron.

But of course it should only do it once when you move off after starting the car. I think it primes itself above a certain speed rather than above a certain rev limit.

The noise mainly happens when the car is moving. If I pull away on a hill I can hear it build up very much like a jet of steam from a iron. I can also force the noise by pulling away on a level road in 2nd gear. It may well be something perfectly normal but I've only really noticed it this week.

I don't think it's the turbo as I can hear that spooling independently from this noise.

I'm thinking the clunk noise may well be the radiator mounts rather than the ARB. I checked the radiator today and it has some play in it which does clunk slightly when moved. I'm sure this moves even easier with the vibrations and bumps absorbed by the car. A mechanic had checked the drop links etc when it was serviced 3 weeks ago so he's sure they are not the issue.