Possible purchase

coggie

I have noticed a 4x4 for sale on ebay and autotrader. The ebay number is 250287461745 and its 2650. Any thoughts on it? I have phoned up and it sounds in good condition although it is due a cambelt change.

Can you help me out with any useful questions before i go tomorrow morning?

How much for a cambelt and service?

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. Craig

2002 52 SKODA OCTAVIA 1.8 TURBO ELEGANCE 4X4 on eBay, also, Skoda, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 25-Sep-08 21:16:02 BST) :thumbup:

Cambelt, water pump and tensioner are normally in the £300 range, the service price will depend on where you get it done, be it at an indi or a main dealer.

Yes it was a Skoda dealership. The Skoda garage near me quoted me £404 fitted for a cam belt so i might go for that although i reckon about £300 at another garage. Im going to get it done just to be safe. I had a Fiat coupe 20v turbo and the cam belt went. Cost me £1500 to fix and it had only been done 3 years and 20k before. They make me nervous now.

And take note of the point about the water pump. It's pretty common for the impellor drive to strip, or the impellor break up, at 80k to 90k, and it's another £300 to 400 to fix that (cambelt needs to come out to replace the water pump), or maybe £50 to have the pump changed when the cambelt is being done anyway.

I ended up going to view the car but couldn't agree a suitable p/x deal for my focus. Gotta stick to your budget and not get carried away, so i drove back.

I have seen another and contacted the dealer. He told me that the engine management light is on and that it has been looked at by an auto electrician and it is because the cambelt has not been replaced. Is this right? Can you get a printout of this from the diagnostic machine?

Thanks again. Craig

c'mon Andy Murray!

[quote name=coggie;1427044

I have seen another and contacted the dealer. He told me that the engine management light is on and that it has been looked at by an auto electrician and it is because the cambelt has not been replaced. Is this right? Can you get a printout of this from the diagnostic machine?

I doubt it!

You can buy a code reader from e-bay for about £30 delivered and take it with you when you go to look at any future buys :D

SKODA CAN Diagnostic Fabia Octavia vRS Superb Roomster on eBay' date=' also, Diagnostic Tools Equipment, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 12-Sep-08 22:01:21 BST)[/url']

Even if you can't get a printout, if you're using a computer based reader, you can get hard copy as follows:-

1) Use "PrintScreen" button.

2) Save the resultant image to a known name and location

3) Print directly, or by inserting the image in a word processor document and printing that.